HID / Halogen Comparison

For anyone that actually cares…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/86MAX/DSC00121-2.jpg

Flame away :slight_smile:

NoOt flamin ya, but is that a 6000k HID bulb? It looks like it has a little blueish glare, if you want the trye “daylight” effect go for 4100 or 4300k. Sorry if I’m telling you stuff you already know :smiley:

Dave

christ! please dont stay behind me! :E

Sleepy eye will fix the scattered lights. :cheer:

They’re OEM Acura 3.2 CL Type S Hid’s…4800k I believe…I took the pic right after I turned them on…they were still warming up a bit…they have a bit more yellow than I thought. Pictures don’t do justice though…they look awesome in person. Now I just have to adjust my headlight height…don’t want to be blinding anyone lol.

Cool, so you did a retrofit with an OEM HID setup. Did you do it yourself, how hard was it to do, what did the parts cost ya, where did you get them from, etc…

Lemme know! I’m trying to determine if it’s reasonable for me to go ahead and do an HID retrofit this summer or not. Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Picked up the HID’s and ballasts for 200$ from a friend
hella h4 housings for 50$ from another friend
12ga. wire to extend lines between ballast and bulb (damn popups)
silicone
rubber thingys on back of housings
electrical tape
and a pint of blood…don’t ask.

Was fairly easy to do…took me a while though. Second one will be much easier. I had to retrofit the bulb into the housing using the basplate of an old H4 bulb. It worked really well, in there super tight. I went overboard with silicone and duct tape to make sure no water gets to it. It’s a bit ghetto…but hey, that’s what backyard mechanics is all about.

Have you driven with them yet? Is there a big difference?

I havn’t driven with them yet, but my looking at the light pattern in my backyard…they make a HUGE difference. I live in the country so having something like this actually will benefit me. I’ll get some better pictures after I install the other one.

oh god andy those look sweet. Now i am happy my tint is really dark. now I just need power folding mirrors so you don’t give me a head acke. you know my toublesome ca18 might be able to stay in front of you…

laurier

If you want some power folding mirrors let me know! Heated too! haha

Nice job…HID’s are sweetass!

My mom’s Murano has a set, and I wouldn’t drive with anything else given the choice - There’s something to be said about being able to see EVERYTHING in front of you. :slight_smile:

I was looking at a set for my car, but at $450 US they can keep em for now…

Yeah the lo/high beam kits can be pretty expensive as well…don’t really need it though, the low’s are plent bright enough. I looked directly into one last night…that was a mistake :rolleyes:

If anyone comes across a set of HID’s and they want to know how I wired mine, I can write up a step by step.

Hmmmm, I was reading some info on this website…

turns out that you’re not supposed to have the ballast close to the battery, well mine is almost leaning directly against it lol. Oh and you’re not supposed to extend the wires in between the ballast and ignitor…shit.

Well I don’t want any explosions, so I have to come up with another HID plan :oops:

Let this be a warning to any other planning to do this haha.

And for safety reasons you shouldn’t retrofit HID capsules into non hid lenses. Look up daniel stern lighting. Let this be a warning to any other PEOPLE planning to do this.

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean, but I’m going to assume it wasn’t intended to be rude. Anyways, I drove around my house last night with them, and WOW…they work crazy good. Was almost like daytime in front of me. A little too bright if you ask me, anyhow I uninstalled them immediately after…probably make some good foglights with them or something. Meh, that’s what experiments are for.

Someone had to do it, I know everyone’s thought of it.

Just move your battery to the trunk :wink:

After I spent hours customizing my battery tray and wheel well to fit my 150$ miata battery? I think not :smiley:

Next experiment…L.e.d. signals lights and skid plate :slight_smile:

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean, but I’m going to assume it wasn’t intended to be rude. Anyways, I drove around my house last night with them, and WOW…they work crazy good. Was almost like daytime in front of me. A little too bright if you ask me, anyhow I uninstalled them immediately after…probably make some good foglights with them or something. Meh, that’s what experiments are for.

Someone had to do it, I know everyone’s thought of it.[/quote]
Right. It wasn’t meant to be rude, just a warning like you posted. I’m glad it was only an experiment.

Any pics of that battery setup? I have the same battery and found it fit fine. If you managed to reshape the tray or someting else, I’d like to see it.

First off I had to cut a big hole for my cold pipe, simply by drilling a bunch of holes in a circle then pounding out the centre. The sharp edges were filed down and lined with rubber hose. The remainder if the tray was made as flat as posible by banging down the outside lip so the battery could sit flat. I then ran into the problem of the battery not being able to sit flat because the wheel well was in the way. My prior measurements were off by about half an inch, and the battery was about half an inch longer than the guy and mazda told me. So I tried banging the well in a little bit, but still wasn’t satisfied, in fact I was angry, so I took a screwdriver and hammer to it, to make a cut in the well, and bang down the lower portion. Covered up all the raw metal showing with primer(hell, noones going to see it, and i’m keeping my fender liners), and the battery fit really well. Now I just have the problem of securing the battery, for when I go to the track. It’s in there real snug…but not tied down.

I’ll grab a pic tonight.