HID conversion kit High/Low beam

went out last week with the fam as usual. Ran into a problem, my cousin she got an Hid conversion kit, and for some reason, i kept telling her that who ever installed it did it incorrect, because when she flicks on high beam her hids turn off.

I have no clue whats going on, i want to help her out on this, because from what i know she probably won’t bother getting it checked.

1. Could it be because she bought a high beam hid bulb kit ?

2. Could it be because she got it installed from a friend who dosen’t know jack ?(The Adjustment is so fuked up, you can read the street signs on top where the traffic lights are from 100 meters as they glow like Gods comming)

3. She bought a ish kit !?

4. They removed the high beam function?

ps: other than that being the problem, you can’t even look at the car at night from the front, its like looking at the sun, you just can’t look there because that ish is so damm off the ground we all had black spots in the eye for 20 mins, when we accidently looked at the car from the front, “rediculas” innit.lol

i told her in the mean time, don’t drive behind a cop, im sure she is pissing off many people on the road night time.

When she dropped me off at my car, i could see ish i didn’t know existed in my car.lol

so yes, i really need a lighting expert on this, i know her hids are wayyyy off, but i want to know why her high beams don’t work.

thanks.

… That was a difficult read.
Anyway, the most important question, What kind of car is it?

A lot of cars use a Dual bulb where basically one Halogen bulb has two different filaments.
It is USUALLY in this order The filament that is farther out in the casing acts as the Low beam and the filament that is closer to the base usually acts as the highbeam.
Needless to say, the filaments are never on at the same time, but alternatively to the other depending on the setting the user selects.

Now HID kits (Just the kits, not the OEM HID systems) drive high voltage through a package of salt (Xenon) and the lit salt is the filament in this case. HID bulbs, being D2S, D2R, D4S, D4R only have one packet of salt for the low beams.

Please read this closely. You should never NEVER install an HID Kit. They are simply D2S bulbs that are re based to fit on a 9006, H4, 9005, etc etc Halogen housing. Unfortunately with this, it is near impossible to achieve the same optics as on a Halogen Bulb… for numerous reasons such as intensity and Placement. Usually HID Kits produce a lot of glare. This is particularly noticeable when an OEM headlight uses a Light Bezel rather than shining the HID bulb through a Projector.
The best way to acheive an OEM HID look without buying an HID equipped car from the factory, is to Retro Fit an OEM HID Unit into an existing housing. It won’t be perfect because of things like the Freshnel lenses on the stock housing, but it’s usually far better than an HID kit.

Anyway, to try and answer your questions:

Not because she bought an HID high Beam kit. There’s actually no such thing in Kit form. There’s HID BiXenon from the factory, but that uses a movable shield to differentiate between a high beam and low beam, all on one bulb

Probably or probably not. No one knows without knowing first hand the experience of the individual.

Of course. Any HID KIT is a shit kit. Never buy an HID KIT

This is probably the case

PS. The lifespan of the HID bulb is severely reduced each time it is flickered on and off.

damm, thats what i thought, although i didn’t think aftermarket hid kits were ish, my one on the gixxer is pretty sexy.

anyways, yea she drives a 2003 lancer.

So there is no way to adjust the angle either?

i don’t know much about car like you do, but i think the 03 lancer would mostlikely have no retro fit option, no?

since shes a female, its no surprise she puts her money down, unlike many ricer guys out there, she has that crazy ass $1000 compustar system aswell so im assuming she bought a decent aftermarket hid kit, but it looks so cheaply installed.

im not into all this but just came to mind, how do these other people with aftermarket hid kits get them to look so nice, i have seen some civics with the round housing which looks like oem, i know the ones with no housing look like glare, she was saying its 6000k, but its very white, and if thats how aftermarket hid look on cars without the proper gas housing it really sucks.

i mean its hard to explain, like you said you can only tell in person.

anyways thanks for the help. it looks like the installer removed the high beam because the bulb might not have fitted without removing the bulb cap, which could be the reason why its so damm blinding.

You can do one of two, or both things to adjust the headlights. Either try your best to twist and jiggle the bulb in the housing to get the best optics, or you can use the stock adjuster tabs on the stock housing

You misunderstood. A retro fit is when you take the entire HID system from a car that came with HID, and you put it into the headlight housing of a car that didn’t have it from the factory. Like on my Nissan 300ZX for example. I put Acura TSX projectors in, and bulbs, ballasts and ignitors from a Subaru STI. On my Datsun 200SX, I put in projectors, bulbs, ballasts and ignitors on from a Mercedes E55 AMG. That setup is BiXenon, where it has the movable shield to switch from Low Beam to high beam on just one bulb.
If I remember correctly, the Lancer did not have a stock HID system.

How they make it look good, it really depends. But an efficient HID system is not about how “sexy” it looks from a spectators view, but about how good the optics are down the road and how well it minimizes glare. One good thing that people can do to minimize clear, is with standard Projectors, when you spray all chrome pieces to flat black, that reduces the amount of apparent glare from the housing. The colour means jack shit. In fact, if it’s blue, the amount of outward light is crappy. The ideal is WHITE. Usually WHITE only displayed at the 4100 - 4300K mark. Getting up to 6000K is way too blue.

I have no idea what you mean about the bulb cap, but I was saying that based on the type of system it is, they had no choice to remove the highbeam.

Hey dude, thanks again for the info, i really get the picture now, i think i’ll tell here first to get her headlight housing sprayed black to reduce the intese glare, second, i personally would stick with stock lighting after finding this out, but tell her to also get the bulb angled downward if its possible.

i also agree vanity comes second to function, i bet the ones i saw were retro fitted hid equipment on those really good oem looking hids i saw.

thinking back i think they must be either a lower kelvin or just looks white because its glaring off the chrome in the headlights, does seem to have a slight hint of blue.

damm, i always end up learning a whole lot more then i tend to get into, about every part i mistakingly think would be easy to inquire about.lol

thanks.

Actually, in just about any situation the bulb would have to be angled up to get a downwards beam direction. In just about anything lighting reflector technology, think to get one thing, you must always do the opposite.

Probably

Signs of an OEM HID retrofit with a 4300K bulb

That’s the point. It’s always better to learn more IMO.

lol, yes your right, i was kinda wrong the way i referred it, i was thinking to make the rear of the bulb lower so the front does like what you said aim up so it hits the housing and deflect of that and aims the beam downward.

yes, sometimes i talk backwards.lol