High mileage 540i

I picked up this 2 ton German a few weeks back. It had been used and abused and needed some repairs. Technically it still needs a few, but it runs, drives, stops, turns, and has valid inspection stickers, so sorting out the other minor stuff is less of a priority.

The headlights were yellow and rough to the touch.

The hood emblem was housed.

I got the front end cosmetic stuff mostly under control. I wetsanded, buffed and waxed the headlights, and painted the chipping/fading chrome slats and kidneys black.

I think I’ll order an M5 bumper next, to make it look less 98 and more, well, awesome.

Yes, it’s glacier Green, but I’m colorblind so it looks silver to me.

Besides, this is the part I like the most.

I’m going to have Jeff remove a silencer and a resonator from the extremely heavy and very quiet exhaust and replace them with straight sections. It will still have cats and a rear muffler, at least for now, haha.

looks silver to me too :dunno:

Any interior pictures?

It’s definitely not silver :rofl:

Nice ride, cleaned up pretty well. Any mods planned, other than exhaust improvement?

Those V8’s sound mean with exhaust mods, and it will look great with the M5 bumper… and I vote for gunmetal grey M5 wheels.

looks silver to me, too. Just a small hint of green, if any.

Nice car. Needs the 540 sport wheels. They look bad ass on them.

Yea I guess in some shots it looks like a sage or seafoam green. I actually kinda dig that color.

Are the 540 sport wheels the chrome split 5 star style?

I think these are the 540 sport wheels, and I think they’re also called “M Parallels.”

I like them a lot, and they are certainly more plentiful than M5 wheels.

The bumper and exhaust are probably it for a while on the mods. I already put polyurethane powerflex suspension bushings on it, and the “CDV” delete valve, which makes the clutch feel and release like a normal one, the stocker tries to prevent the driver from dumping the clutch, although that didn’t keep me from getting tire in 2nd when I tried.

I have a few interior shots, I’ll try to get some better ones.

kolar you hit it dead on, was trying to think of that color.

It’s still not silver tod :rofl:

Yep those are the ones. A guy I know has those on his 5 series but are 18’s.
I think he got them from this place: http://www.wheelhq.com/18-inch-bmw-wheels-rims.html

M Pars are hot.

Bimmerforums.com has a mean wheel and tire classified section.

Headlights and emblem made a huge improvement. :bigthumb:

Won’t take much to flip that thing around and have it lookin hot!

Looks good so far.

worst thing you could have done was wetsand those headlights …you will never ever ever ever ever get those scratchs out of that plastic…when you wash your car that was is gnna come off and they are gnna look like shit …go to bumper 2 bumper or napa or even walmart , they have a plastic polish that is on a pad that you put on your drill…its like 14 bux…it works amazing and does not fade or anything like wax…i used them on 2 of my tegs , and 2 of my bmw’s and they turned out like brand new headlights…i’ll get the name for you soon …

the car looks awsome tho

those are my favorite wheels , i bought them for my 89 735il and they looked aboslutely incredible…

looks good…hows it sound with the exhaust now ?

oh and LILgreenB18 Multi-quote is ur friend !

Jeff hooked me up with a nice SS replacement for the heavy and quiet sections of the stock BMW exhaust.

This section is now on the scrap pile:

…and although it looks complete, notice that the muffler has no exit, it’s not a muffler, but a silencer. The real muffler was right next to it, and remains on the car, although attached to much lighter and freer flowing SS bends.

So Jeff managed to eliminate the Y shaped resonator, and the muffler sized and muffler weight silencer (which seemed to be full of water) with a sleek SS section, that sounds much better.

I can’t say tits have a sound, but if they did, they’d sound like my exhaust currently does.

I’ll try to take a video soon, although the videos from my digi cam seem to be freaking huge files, but oh well.

I’ve only heard it from inside the car, but Starboy and some of the others at Miracle Mile should have heard me pull away earlier tonight.

looks good

At idle or constant speed it sounds the same as stock to me.

But clearly has a much more aggressive tone when under load or quickly revved.

Revved, inside the car, windows down
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/beat90tsi/540i/th_exhaustwindowsdown.jpg

Acceleration from inside the car with wind noise and very unstable video footage from me holding the camera and switching hands mid-video to make the 1-2 shift
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/beat90tsi/540i/th_incaraccel.jpg

sounds pretty good