hiking ideas (a large loop)

So me and some friends are thinking about going on a three day back packing trip. nothing insane, but i haven’t been in years and am not really sure how long (miles) of a trip we should be looking for. Im willing to drive as far as virginia to see crazy waterfalls, and mountain views. And im also looking for a large loop, because we want to end up where we started of course… so any ideas will help.

-thanks
brett

Stay tuned for my long post about hiking the adirondacks

tuned in

try going to ems, they have a good assortment of books and knowledgeable staff.

I’m one of the friends who would be going.
I want to hit up the Appalachians down in PA or Virginia as i’ve already been to the Adarondaks.

I’m thinking necessary items would be, tent,sleeping bag, beer,steaks and burgers,gun, and clothes.

This would be our first time doing something like this, but I want it to be bomb as fuck.

Have you hiked the northville placid trail end to end yet? Doing that a section at a time is well worth it. That and the Appalachian trail, but the later is very long and quite a task to under take.

isn’t the appalachian trail from like VA to Mass or something crazy?
lol

Edit: fuck that
http://www.tripleblaze.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/appalachian-trail-map.gif

I think i’d rather do less actual “hiking” and more, setting up a sweet camp site far away from people, with a sweet surrounding, either a huge cliff to throw stuff off, or a desolate lake or something along those lines

Yeah, I have done just over 100 miles of it on last count. I have done the Northville Placid which is a great trail that my father helped to construct. There are tons of trails in NY and all over the east coast. I can have my father scan in some maps of some of his favorite. He has done survival training, trail construction, “expedition leading” etc… He loves this outdoor shit.

hmmm, i’m thinking more along the lines of not even taking a path, just kinda winging it, carving symbols in trees so we can find our way back kind of stuff.

:slight_smile:

got some planning to do i guess

im laughing at sedlmeiers comments… i wanna do a loop and see bomb waterfalls… thats all im really asking

but winging it could be a good time

“Winging it” isn’t a great idea. Traveling on non-established paths takes longer and you might hike right past something cool that an established path was made to travel to. And you have to be careful not to enter private property.

Also consider going up north. You can drive 6+ hours into Canada and reach some very cool places. And if the sky is clear, you might be able to see the northern lights.

Also consider an area that has many mapped out routes and make a base camp then hit one trail/area each day. Then you can have a nice setup, bring more stuff, and not have to haul it all day every day. I know a few great places to do this however none of them are east coast so good luck.

About 6 hours North you can go to Algonquin Provincial Park, endless possibilities of trails there, we did a 13 mile one in an overnight trip, around a beautiful lake with cliffs and very small peaks. Very cool rock formations, saw a bear, a moose, you can hear wolves. They even tell you that it is OK to drink the water out of the lake, man was that fresh! Only downside is you have to buy a “permit” to camp in the wilderness, it was cheap, but still… It is BEAUTIFUL up there

Me and my cousin are probably heading up to Moosonee / Moosefactory way the hell up north on the James Bay, something I’ve always wanted to do. The Polar Bear Express Railroad looks awesome, and we’ll probably spend 2 days in the wilderness hiking around the bay and river, can’t wait for that!

if im going to drive 6+ ill probably just go up towards VT… my teammate lives up there and ive always wanted to go visit anyways… plus im sure there’s great hiking

Why don’t you check out the high peaks loop in the adirondacks. Lots of black bear sightings there.

Canada is a NO GO, i’m bringing a riffle with me and I don’t want any hassle bringing it across the border