Home Owners Deductable

I am deciding between a 500 or 1000 dollar deductible… i cant foresee myself ever using homeowners insurance for anything that inst major… (ie WAY more then 1k)

the difference is about 150 bux per year (480-320)

any suggestions?

K.

1. I would never turn anything in unless it was decent anyways.

Jeller

Definately 1000

lol are we going to have to pick out your house for you too?

you and the home buying questions are as bad as MikeiR24 or whatever and his buying of cars

1. In 3 years, even if you make a claim it will have already paid for itself. worst comes to worst, find $500 of extra shit that broke :gotme:

1000 here.

Minor stuff they’re going to find a way to deny you coverage anyway. Homeowners if for when a tree falls through your roof, your house catches on fire, or some asshole wearing dress shoes in a blizzard falls on your sidewalk and sues you.

i asked a bunch of people at work and i got 50/50 answers…

but i dont really know what to expect as to what people claim

Its not like the car, high deduct. is fine IMO.

$1000 works for me

Hmm I don’t remember what mine is I should call my agent and check. Change it too 1000 if it is 500. Would cut my mortgage payment down a bit more next year when they do escrow readjustment. My payment dropped 37 bucks next month since they just did my readjustment, my taxes went down and they where taking too much to begin with got a nice refund check that went into savings.

$1k…

Anything smaller is pointless… if you make more then (2) claims in three years you’re subject to being dropped, so you might as well pay for minor things out of pocket.

:biglaugh:I was thinking the same thing.

$1000 FTW.
Don’t ever claim anything smaller.

Given that most people rarely, if ever, make a claim on their homeowners, go with the higher deductible for the lower rate.

That reminds me…

Even though you will rarely if ever use it, PLEAS PLEASE PLEASE buy the “deluxe” policy, or whatever your company calls it. Coverage for extra living expenses, and restoration coverages.

Oh, and get full replacement value.

In my case it was ~$40 / yr extra, but worth more then you can imagine.

I’ve got to get around to walking around my house with a camera. Word on the street is having pics of everything you own helps out tremendously if the day ever comes when you need the insurance to replace shit that burned in a fire or something like that…

We didn’t have any pics, and we only had recipets or owners manuals for maybe 1/4 of the stuff.

I’ve heard horror stories of dealing with insurance adjusters… but I honestly do not have one single complaint about ours, in fact I’d recommend him, if it weren’t so morose.

:blah: next time we’re out.

Oh, and buy a fire retardant & waterproof filing cabinet. Safes are too small (by $ amount). For keeping all of your important docs, reciepts, etc…

I suggest you buy a book on buying a house.

actually I think you did already.