tips for buying home insurance?

I’m closing on my house on the 14th and I’m about to start shopping for insurance.

what words of advice can those who have gone through this provide?

specifically:

• what sort of coverages do they upsell which are not needed?
  • what kind of coverages or deductibles beyond the normal are a good idea?

Obviously most of the details are personal choice and related to each property, but I’m sure there are words of wisdom so I don’t pay too much or get too little.

also, if you have a recommendation for who to check out, now is the time.

1K deductible is fine, if your auto insurance offers home owners insurance likely stick with that you’ll get a discount… depends where you live on what services you need/don’t need.

Do yourself a favor:

Full replacement value
$1k deductible
Deluxe (or whatever your carrier calls it) coverage
Extended structure coverage

what is Deluxe coverage?

Most people make the mistake of significantly underestimating.

Go through your house and think of how much it would cost you to buy every single thing in there brand new. That is what you need to get coverage for.

As much as I hate the racket, I’ll never cheap out on insurance. I couldn’t imagine having somthing happen and being left in a horrible hole to save $25 a month. Esp. since HO insurance is so damned cheap.

^ Yeap. You wouldn’t believe how much shit you have in your house… and how much it would cost to replace it all.

I’m buying insurance in like a week for a place I just bought.

FYI…

Geico does their homeowner insurance through Travelers. Travelers is a division of Citigroup, my employer.

So if you have geico car insurance, just apply at the geico site, and you will get the multiple policy discount, but your home will be insured through Travelers, a very well known home insurer.