Home Owners: Insurance ?

Looking for a little help/insight as far as selecting insurance.

I ran a quote through Geico a few days ago, listed everything on there to the best of my knowledge, and received a quote of roughly $350/year. Very reasonable. I call to purchase this option today, the lady on the phone asks several questions about the home, and proceeds to tell me that based on the info I gave her, my insurance would be $1026/year.

She told me the amount I’d need to insure my home, which is assessed at roughly 80k, would be 300k. That is ridiculous. Someone please help me.

I hear good things of Allstate. I will likely be going to them.

As far as value, you need to insure for the replacement value of the home but do not count the cost of land.

Call your local AllState agent. I did a lot of shopping around and reading reviews/talking to local people and went with AllState. I was really impressed with how they handled a couple of my neighbors Oct storm issues.

Or PM Testicle, he’s an allstate agent I think. I know he’s hooked a lot of nyspeeders up with great homeowner’s policies.

holy shit $1k+ through geico!

call allstate, i pay a little over $300/yr through them.

yeah i’m on their website now, i’m calling them tonight

erie & niagara through emerling insurance agency

Im using State Farm, very reasonable i think i pay under 400 per year.

dryden mutual

Allstate did a great job with my fathers claim last october. They went in and totally took care of him.

I don’t think geico would do the same.

I have geico for auto insurance right now, and they are cheap and fix the car, but for a house I wouldn’t go with them.

In my opinion i would try to find an alternative to Geico/Umbrella. After they came and checked out my property i got a letter in the mail saying they were cancelling our coverage if we didn’t replace/fix our driveway and sidewalks. bunch of garbage. sidewalks are perfect and driveway isn’t that bad compared to others i have seen.

Fucking lady that showed up tried to insist the old incinerator furnace was a woodburning stove.

I have Allstate and am impressed with the rates and the amount of coverage. I haven’t had to use them yet, but for a duplex (more expensive than single family) with $1million in liability coverage I pay $550.

You may be able to find some other insurance agents for less money, but a lot of the smaller companies want to know if you have all copper plumbing, newer heaters, newer roof, etc. If you don’t have all of the above, they won’t cover you. Been there, done that.

Geico sucks for home insurance. Rates are too high. I’ve had good luck with Allstate. Although they still try and raise your rate every year. You have to call and beat them back down. Still cheaper than geico though.

Way too high. Get a 2nd opinion.

are you going thru who ever your car policy is thru? you might get a cheaper rate and be able to get a multi line discount

Im using State Farm,550 year

metlife, $450/yr

I use nationwide (same as auto) on my $90k house and i pay somewhere around $350 a month. Its been 4 years now and not one complaint!

Trust me on this one.

PM board member TESTICLE

He is a member on here and works for Allstate. I can pretty much guarantee he will hook you up better than anywhere else. He’s alerady done so for several members on here.

X2…I got my house and 3 cars through State Farm…haven’t let me down yet. I highly reccommend Mike Keane’s office, if you want any more info let me know.

I switched my homeowners and vehicle insurance to allstate with his help. I definately reccomend giving him a call.