Homeowners Insurance

I switched my auto insurance over to geico last renewal period. I both homeowners & auto under a single policy. Allstate said I would lose my discount on homeowners if I removed my auto coverage. Well it sure did, my policy went up to from 650 to 850.

Anyone know of good providers for homeowners?

Geico has homeowners if you want to do both under same company, cant hurt to see how the rates are.

Damn that seems high, even with the discount at $650. What kind of house is it?

I go through Liberty Mutual for my house, my rental, and my car insurance… last year the rates were good, this year they got jacked up on me, but still not too bad. My house is about $400, rental is $725, and car insurance is $85 a month.

Liberty Mutual for my homeowner’s…they couldn’t touch my auto rates with geico but the homeowners is about 350/yr for a ~150k base plus the typical extras policy

Since we’re on the subject, my insurance went way up this year because they told me to rebuild my home in case of a total loss it would cost in excess of $200k. (previously I had it insured for ~$180k but they “re-evaluated” it this year). This is a $84k house in Cheektowaga. The house next door is going for <60k. Now in the extreme eventuality that it really did burn to the ground (can brick houses even do that?!), why in the world would I rebuild it for >200k when I could probably sell the land to the neighbor and buy a much nicer house for $200k elsewhere, and in a way better neighborhood? Do I really need to keep that much insurance?

hurricanes… ughhhh i wish i could find homeowners and flood for 500 a year.

I have a car/home bundle through Kemper.

The policy sizes are arbitrary and vary from company to company. If you get quotes from others you can have them quote a smaller one.

Liberty Mutual +1
Homeowners is $460 for 300k rebuild value, car insurance is 100/month for 09 escape, 08 TBSS, and 94 Tbird SC. Have been with Allstate and State Farm in the past and they couldn’t touch these prices.
Have always had good customer service support with LM as well.

it’s usually best overall to keep auto+home together because of the discounts… call around for total quotes, I doubt you’ll be ahead if you split them up.

Switched to Geico? They tried to rip me off several times, I can’t see that saving you.

I went through an agent and had them calling around instead of me.

X…

How would you know its high from what he posted?

I never understood America’s fascination with having the cheapest insurance bill they could. My friend had his house burn down a few years back. He left for lunch, came back 30 minutes later and the power block to his laptop had burned the entire place down. Everything he owned burned. He had his car, the clothes on his back and his phone. He lost 3 dogs in the fire (only 1 of which was his). He had $35k in contents coverage (apartment). It didn’t even scratch the surface of the cost of trying to replace everything.

Sure, the odds of ever needing it are slim as hell, but you sure as shit will be glad you paid a little extra if the time ever comes and you need the coverage.

/soapbox.

That said, when you were shopping for car insurance, you didn’t take in to account the total insurance bill? That is what I did sine I was shopping cars/bikes/house. I ended up with car/house on the same plan and another plan for the bike since that gave me the lowest overall bill for the coverage I was looking for.

I have Liberty Mutual as well for my home and cars. Great service so far and always very nice to deal with. I’ve never had to file a claim though thankfully. Their prices are good. Not dirt cheap like Geico, but when I was shopping for home insurance Geico didn’t offer it, so I switched to a carrier that had everything I needed.

What the hell does that story have to do with anything? Do you think I am not covered for all that above listed? Do you think I just shopped for the cheapest insurance I can afford? Do I have some low rate insurance company?

In my experience $850 SEEMS high for a single family home in WNY… which is the reason I asked what kind of house it was. If he answered full replacement value for a $500,000 McMansion… then maybe not… if it was full replacement value for a $100,000 Cheektowaga home… then yes it is high. From a few responses, it looks like $850 is not the norm. So STFU.

is it just me or this has got to be the third or fourth thread where someone told Walter to GTFO just today…

You’re right. The “type of house” is the only thing that would play in to the cost of insurance. Why worry about where it is, the value of the contents, the type of insurance carried, etc.

And saying “three people on the internet said that $850 is high, therefor it clearly is” is about as stupid as saying “I plan on winning the lottery tonight, I got a fortune cookie with numbers on the back, I can’t lose”.

Why don’t you give out some medical advice over the internet next? Internet doctors, the next best thing to the internet price police.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I know, I’m getting slow in my old age…

Going to be in this boat myself in a few months. Bought my current house (well closed) last January, at the time I stuck with Allstate for 640 a year my replacement value is almost 250k I believe. I had auto through them too. Flash forward to May i believe it was my auto rate had freaking skyrocketed compared to two years ago I mean it went up a good amount every renewal period. I think it was going to be 870 for 6 months. So started shopping ended up with Geico at 99 a month for my Scobby and wifes Saturn Vue. My agent with Allstate of course was all uppity about Geico and then about home owners going up…

The homeowners I will be starting to shop probably in October. Was going to look at taking it onto my auto with Geico, also going to look at MetLife since we have a bulk discount at work. Also will check out Liberty Mutual since they seem to have good rates.

touche

I have home insurance (A) and car insurance (B) under the same carrier.

(A) gets more expensive.

thread trend: hmmm let me only shop for (A), and not worry about the consequences of (B) until later.

shut up with your logics