Car vs. Home insurance Question v. Scumbags broke into car

Well some of you may remember months ago i came home from Daytona, and let my sister’s boyfriend borrow my car while gone…and while it was parked across the street from his place on Summer right by Norwood (not far from Summer and Elmwood), my corner lenses were stolen out of my EG Civic Sedan.

Well, my sister bought a brand new Cobalt about a month ago, her first ever new car, and her first ever CAR in general. Well last night, on a hunch they broke her window, went right for the glove box, and found her GPS unit and new iPod Touch…

Called our friend that works for our car insurance company, close friend of the family so she wouldn’t steer us wrong…and she said home owners insurance had to cover it, even though the robbery took place miles from home.

Called the home owners insurance people, who were dicks the whole time having attitude and being completely heartless over the matter acting like it was no big deal, and after my sister explained it was about $500 or so worth of stuff, they said it’s not covered because of some deductible bullshit.

I didn’t think that the deductible on your car insurance had anything to do with home owners insurance? Or maybe we misunderstood them and they were referring to a deductible on the home owners insurance? Which, if that’s the case…i didn’t even know there were deductibles in the world of home owners insurance.

She’s pretty upset because 3 other cars got hit too on the street…and she stays there a lot. Obviously i told her not to keep that shit in her car, but nobody really thinks it could ever happen to them until it does. Plus, the fact that EVERYTHING of value was in the closed glove box, there was NOTHING in sight of value that would have prompted a break in…and they still broke in just hoping to score big, pisses me off the most.

Her boyfriend and I are pretty furious about this…strongly considering trap and bait tactics and leaving a GPS in plain sight on a dash and the car unlocked and sitting out with bats.

Also planning on going to/calling some of the pawn shops local to that area to see if they have any new GPS or iPod Touch units…so we can tell them it’s stolen, and see if they have any idea of who dropped it off, since it’s unlikely these scumbags are one time thieves, and have probably done this before and sold shit to the pawn shops in the past.

I wish i could say karma’s a bitch and they’ll get what they have coming…but that’s usually not the case, because this shit happens ALL TOO OFTEN and nothing ever gets resolved, and in this case my sister’s out of $500 worth of shit and apparently can’t get anything for it. I don’t see the purpose of said $500 deductible on theft since it extremely rare that anybody would leave over $500 of stuff just sitting in their car.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH…

/rant.

its considered the same as if they robbed the $500 worth of shit out of her house. Its the homeowners deductible.

IBjays

I would say it depends on where the car is parked… I had my truck broken into in March and a bunch of stuff ripped off. Homeowners covered all the items that were stolen minus the deductable on my Homeowners; and Automotive covered the damage to the vehicle.

Not sure how it works if your car is on the street.

Also, not sure who you deal with insurance wise, but my homeowners (Allstate), and auto (Geico) were both awesome in dealing with the claims. I had both checks in-hand within a week.

The glass of the broken window was replaced already today, covered with car insurance for free.

How can the deductible on the car insurance though only apply to some things? For example, the glass is obviously worth less than the $500 deductible she has on the car insurance, but it was covered for free. What does the deductible apply to, and what does it not apply to?

Real simple, the glass policy cover glass. Glass is separate coverage so you choose the deductible for that specific coverage. Since glass coverage is so cheap most people have $0 deductible on glass. Everything else gets covered under your standard deductible.

Homeowners deductibles are usually higher. Personally, I carry a grand deductible on my homeowners but only $250 on my cars. The reason being that most people in nice areas go decades or more without a covered homeowners claim so I’ll take the savings each year. My cars on the other hand are at constant risk of some asshat denting, scratching or destroying them so I keep a low deductible on them.

EDIT:
PS, chances are her GPS mount was visible even if she had taken down the GPS. Even if it wasn’t I can guarantee the telltale GPS mount rings were visible on the glass. My mom takes her GPS everywhere and I tell her to always toss it in her purse not the glovebox. That way when someone breaks into the car to get the GPS that they figure is in the glove box the most she’s out is a window, which gets replaced for free by a guy who comes to your house or work.

JayS is correct on the deductables… I keep both mine at $250 though…

seriously, how can you think think that there is not a deductible on home owner’s insurance?