Home router?

the business grade netgear WAP’s are actually not bad… but on the whole netgear makes pretty shitty networking equipment.

at home i have a linksys business grade wireless router, i got sick of fucking around with the shitty $70 units that have to get restarted once a week (or day). haven’t had to restart this bitch since i got it, rock solid :tup:

What model do you have and is the WAN port capped?

I want this…

Netgear and it said 10x on the box. Guy at best buy reccomended it. Been great thus far. Really easy to set up. Didnt want another Linksys, had one crap out at my parents house before.

Jeller

i’d have to check it at home, i don’t remember the model number. AFAIK it is not capped.

what draft of N is it? 2.0 looks promising but I think it’s probably best to wait for the official IEEE standard.

Exactly. I have seen such mixed reviews that when considering wireless infrastructure for the office, N would have been cost efficient, however G really proved to be the stable option. I may upgrade when the standard is officially released and tested out.

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VzMI424WRUserManualv4_Draft.pdf

Haven’t spent alot of time with it yet, I’ve only had it a few days.

Verizon MI424WR

Your link does not work.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/QuestionsOne/85865.htm

first one.

well what i mean is what is the difference is it faster or something??

gigabit can theoretically send 10x as much data across it’s links than 100mbit links.

1000mbit vs 100mbit

there are 8 bits in a byte so 125MB vs 12.5MB per second transfer rate.

yes, more faster

Gigabit Ethernet (GbE or 1 GigE) is a term describing various technologies for transmitting Ethernet frames at a rate of a gigabit per second,

I just bought a Linksys N router. The range was supposed to be 3x better than my 5 year old D-link but I think it might actually be worse.

heh. I just ordered that router the other day. I’ll let you know how it is once I get it hooked up.

N is funny like that. It isn’t a linear signal strength that decreases as you move away from the source, it has a wave shape to the strength curve. Try moving it around if you aren’t getting signal where you want it.

x3.

Had to mess with mine a bit, but is fantastic now.

I have a Buffalo that I flashed DD-WRT onto.

:tup: good stuff,like roids for your router.