Home Theater Ohms question

I know we have a few home theater junkies on here so I hope someone can answer this question.

So I have a receiver (JVC RX-D702) which is currently hooked into two DCM KX-12 as my front left and right speakers. I love the speakers. They kick serious ass. Unfortunately, they’re a bit big for the room I currently have. So I was thinking. I have a set of Klipsch ProMedia speakers (four of them) that I used to have on my computer. They were a 400 watt set. I was thinking about using those speakers instead of my DCM’s because they are much smaller and I can mount them to the walls.

I was all set to do this until someone told me that if the ohms of the receiver are more than the ohms that the speaker can handle, it will ruin the receiver. I know that the receiver puts out 6 ohms on the front channels but I have no idea what the ProMedia’s can handle. Am I going to ruin anything by using these speakers?

You need to read the back of the speaker cabinets to see what Ohms “they are”.

Now read the back of the receiver to see what Ohms it is rated for.

If the resistance of the speaker is LOWER then the rating on the receiver then you need another solution. Yes, You can ruin both the receiver & the speakers if the speakers are <rated, particularly if you crank the volume pot.

Post what you’ve got.

BTW - Kilpsch = :tup:

The speakers are the satellites that come with this: http://klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

The speakers themselves don’t have any info on them at all.

Specs of the receiver are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882108085 (click on specifications over on the right)

Do you have access to a multimeter?

Satellite Impedance: 4 ohm minimum

I don’t have one unfortunately.

Being that the receiver puts out 6 and those need a minimum of 4 does that mean I can use them?

the receiver does not PUT OUT anything. the speakers are the resistance (ohms).

The receiver puts out voltage/amperage into a resistive load (speakers). If the load it too “light”, then the circuits of the receiver (think of it as an amplifier) will be pushing the speakers too hard. The circuits will be putting out overcurrent & overheat & the speaker motor can be hit with too much voltage (or clipping) causing both too overheat.

In the end, you should not use the speakers if they are 4ohm.

Your manual states 4O minimum, so you should really test them with a multimeter to be sure of what they are. If the speakers have a dcresistance of 5.0 or greater, then you are fine.

Sorry, its not easy to explain, and i havent had coffee yet.

No, that’s a good explaination. I appreciate it. I think I’ll just continue to use the DCM’s and put up with their size. Thanks for your help!

Auctually the 4 ohm speakers should work just fine on a amp designed with a 6ohm min. Just dont keep it at 100% volume for hours.

It sure as hell shouldnt hurt anything. And the DCM’s… well… suck…

Those kilpsch’s are ok, but for a home theater? I dont think they would be able to put out what you would need.

Uhm… NO… do not ever use speakers that are lower ohm rating than an amp can handle; even at “low” volumes depending on what class amplifier he has, can burn up almost instantly.

But something doesn’t add up with your numbers in regards to the speakers and stereo. Most home stereos are rated for 8 ohm speakers min; some go down to 4. I’ve never heard of a 6 ohm rating on a stereo.

As for speakers; 6 ohm is possible, but not that common. Most home stereo equipment is 4 or 8 ohm. Most car audio is 4 ohm, with 2, and 1 ohm common in subwoofers.

There are some things that somehow claim a 6ohm min, the one i got says 2, and ive ran it down to 1 or lower many times. Unless the thing is a POS, there is no reason it cant handle a 4 ohm load. Yes, it would be trying to put out 50% more power, but as long as you dont exceed 1/2 to 3/4 volume for long periods of time (wich im sure would work fine anyways) then it would be putting out the same volume as it would at 3/4 to full volume, there would be nearly no increase in heat output.

The only thing you would have to worry about is if it has some sort of protection that would cause it to not turn on when it has a load less than 6 ohms connected to it.

And i have 2 ohm stable amps ive ran at .33 ohms, no ill side effects, just ALOT of heat you need to deal with…

I was going by these specs here:

Amplifier Output Details
150 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.8 % - 2 channel(s) ( Main), 150 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.8 % - 1 channel(s) ( Center), 150 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.8 % - 2 channel(s) ( Surround), 150 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.8 % - 2 channel(s) ( Surround back), 150 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.8 % - 2 channel(s) ( Front)

Well, that would mean it puts out 150W into a 6ohm load, i suppose it could mean its only rated down to 6 ohms, but im not sure. It should say on the back of the receiver.

:picard:

A lot of tube amps come with connections for 4, 6 and 8 ohm loads, shit my krell is rated at 4, 6 and 8 and its a solid state.

As for speakers; 6 ohm is possible, but not that common. Most home stereo equipment is 4 or 8 ohm. Most car audio is 4 ohm, with 2, and 1 ohm common in subwoofers.

6 ohm is very common in higher end speakers.

If those are the specs that your receiver is rated at and you are using 8 ohm speakers you should only be putting out 100 or so watts, you will be fine. If through a 4 ohm resister it will most likely putt out around 200 watts. Cheap receivers have a rang of out puts, usually 4-8ohm impedance.

JVC isnt all that great and if you try and crank those little speakers your gonna blow em up. Get some real speakers and a real Receiver.

But Im an Audio nut with a limited Budget.

I am running a Denon Reciever (not the best but on the middle tier)
Definitive Technologies Speakers (Really nice for the price, not a B&W but yea)
and a Velodyne Subwoofer.

LOL… definitive tech’s as your main speakers? Wich ones you running? The metal domes never really did it for me… Altough i have a definitive tech center and rear center…

You like the denon? My friend got one, and it blew up twice… My yamaha was rock sold for years, and its not like i take care of it…

I have the BP-8’s They have a kevlar paper cone and a beryllium tweeter. They are very nice.

Ive had the denon for 8 years without and issue, it runs basicly 24/7 in my room thru my computer, and I crank it fairly often without any issues. Its also survived multiple power outages.