RMS Ratings

So, I got a new amp (Alpine PDX-5) that is rated on crutchfield at 75 x 4 and 300 x 1 RMS.

Alpine, being the cool company it is, tests every amp prior to shipment and mine tested at 121 x 4 and 424 x 1.

I haven’t gotten stronger speakers yet (my old amp was 50 x 4), but should I be buying for 120 RMS or 75? My JL W1V2 is rated for 300 RMS, please don’t tell me I need to get a stronger sub.

Let me know what you think.

It’s your preference on the speakers but I’d stick with the sub you have. You can overpower a speaker a little and it will be okay. The big thing is distortion, don’t let the sound distort, whether the distortion comes from your headunit or amp it doesn’t matter. Distortion can kill speakers quick.

So I should be good if I get speakers in the 75-80 RMS range? It’s just odd that crutchfield would advertise such low specs…

Those specs come from the manufacture, I had a similar situation with Rockford Fosgate amps. I’d get the biggest interior speakers you can fit but 75-80W would be okay.

Well the speakers I was thinking of getting are 6.5/6.75 Infinity Kappa 652.9i’s. They are rated for 75w which is exactly what the amp was rated at (on crutchfield). As far as I knew, they were a perfect match. Luckily I haven’t bought them yet.

So should I look for speakers rated closer to 120rpms that are 6.5 or 6.75 in size? I don’t want to limit myself by severely over powering my speakers and therefore shortening their life. I don’t play it so loud that it distorts, but I do play my music pretty loud.

I’d get speakers that are advertised to handle 120. There is no harm in under powering a speaker, but there can be damage if you over power it. Better safe than sorry.

Exactly my sentiment, just wanted to make sure since I had two different ‘specs’. I figured the test one would be the one I should use.

Anyone have any good speakers in mind? I don’t want components, just single speakers. Not looking to spend $600 on speakers.

The only speakers Crutchfield has that hit over 100RMS and aren’t components are Alpine SPR-17C’s for $149.99.

Anyone have these or heard them?

Or these Planet Audio AP625 speakers: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=21123

I’d go talk to AudioObsessions in Colonie. They can let you listen to the speakers before you buy. Even if you don’t buy from them, you’ll get to hear how the speakers actually sound.

Hmm…I might have to stop by today after my neurosurgeon appointment. Thanks.

you can have an amp thats rated for more power than the speaker, just keep that gain down. my speaker amp gain is set to 0, i dont touch that knob.

My gain is in the middle for channels 1-4, and at full for the sub channel.

I have the speakers set to not go less than 150kz (HPF). Sub is set to 200 I believe, but I have it set to 150kz on the head unit.

System sounds fine, I can get it loud enough to not like it, but yet there is no distortion.

Should I still get new speakers? Like I said, its get so loud where it’s uncomfortable, but no distortion.

no, it doesnt seem like you have to get new speakers. if u will get nicer ones, it wont hurt, but if the ones you have now dont distort, then I dont really see a problem. i’d want to check it out in person, just to hear how it is in general

The W1V2 doesn’t rattle my brain, but it’s fills out the music nicely. If you stand with the trunk open and poke your head in the trunk, it does make your hair move a little.

Strong enough for me. I didn’t want something that would be able to be heard a mile away.

Maybe one of these days I’ll make it out to one of the meets.

I’ll post pics in the audio thread later today.

I have the box mounted the floor, the cap mounted to the top, and the amp mounted on the back. Wires are slightly a mess behind the box, but you can’t see it from any angle standing behind the car.

if its all balanced and sounds well together, then its good. you dont want the sub overshadowing the rest. one thing i tell pretty much everyone is not to mount the amp onto the sub box. its my personal preference, because i dont like the additional vibration on the amp if you can avoid it. mine are mounted separately. newer amps are MUCH MUCH better now but can still fail because of mechanical damage. any company amp is prone to this if u shake it around. definitely bring your car out sometime and come find me, im curious to hear yours.

Will do.

I think it’ll be okay. It’s not experiencing any more vibration than if it was screwed into floor right next to the sub.

Yeah I’ll meet all ya’ll eventually.