Honda guys. how much work to convert a d16y7 to vtec?

im looking into buying a car with a y7. but i would like vtec and y7 parts are very hard to find. what would it take to go vtec? possibly y8 head? help me out.

This is what i came up with when i did a quick google search.Hope some of the links listed help answer some of your questions.

I found the second link down to have some pretty good info.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=how+to+convert+a+Y7+to+a+VTEC&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=d53639546d3e9460

i would just buy a z6 or y8

not worth it, only thing you’re going to do is burn more oil. Unless you want it as a learning experience. but if u want that, and performance atleast do a b18b swap

i assuming its a ek coupe or hatch, runing a z6 wont pass inspection unless its correctly converted to obd2. and if you have a ek hatch using the y8 ecu will also throw a code becuase hatches dont have a tank pressure sensors like coupes. if you dont care for nys inspection, id say just boost it.

Ya this really isn’t worth it. Find a complete y8 swap if you want sohc vtak. B18b swaps are cheap, dohc, 140hp, and can be really fun in a civic. If you are swapping on the cheap I would go that route

yeah its an ek hatch. so id probably be better off just going b series you think? thanks guys

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

this was really helpful thanks

yes, just get an obd2 b18. Depending on the year of your EK you will either need an obd2a or obd2b ecu
obd2a is 96/97 and obd2b is 98+ i believe

alright. its a 99 so obd2b probably. thanks man