Honda Head Gasket

I am rebuilding the cylinder head on my d16a6 I was just looking for some advice on what kind of head gasket to use when I put the rebuilt head on. What thickness and material am I looking for? And any tips for me will be greatly appreciated. THANKS

honda oem

definitely

There is a TSB on the A6 gasket. The usual stock gasket is a composite layered gasket. It works but doesn’t take heat as well as the later metal gaskets do, and i’ve seen a few A6’s well over the 100k mark with the head off, the gaskets always looked like total hell. Right now I have the gasket off a Z6 on mine (3 layer metal). But this winter the head is getting rebuilt so i’m just going to the new TSB factory spec gasket (5 layer metal, exact same shape as the orginal composite gasket). Probaly more than you wanted to know sorry about that lol.

What aboot cometic? do they make something for this application?

If its not under anykind of boost app i would just rock any head gasket, if u want more security get a set of head studs

so any difference in material multi layered steel vs. graphite? and yeah the studs i am looking for some arp ones for the right price and by right price i mean cheap.:tounge: thanks for all the help!

is it under boost?

on used blocks and heads we spray some copper headgasket spray on all the headgaskets at work Fills in the little gaps

no boost currently maybe in the future and the copper spray i’ll hav e to look for that…

dont anyone know how to use a straight edge and a feeler gauge to tell if the head surface or block is warpt beyond specs? a head gasket will seal a certain amount despite warparge. should tell you in your manual what the trueness needs to be. more than that, then you need the head cut/block decked.

as long as your in specs, there should be no need for copper spray adhesive. just clean both surfaces and put the gasket in. Only time i ever seen that shit used is on copper spacer headgaskets that get sandwhiched. seems kinda weird to me to be using that shit on an oem application/repair.

with that said, any headgasket will do, but oem is preferable. As for the metal one or the graphite one, i’d say who cares. Chances are good you will either pull the head off because of something else failing, or the car will rot out from under the engine before it pops. so if i were spending my time and money on doing it, id just go to the parts store and get whatever they have.