head gasket sealing

hey guys,

quick question i have been thingking about and finding many different answers for. when i did my head gasket, i used an apexi 3 layer head gasket, and the fsm said to use a liquid gasket for the oem HG. however when i was online looking at builds and tutorials, write ups ect… i read that you should not use any sealant or copper plating on a head gasket like this. so i went ahead and made sure are mating surfaces were true, using a straight edge. and put the hg on without the sealant or copper plating. tightened to 30,60, 80 ft lbs.

i have heard many different opinions on this. that you should use this and shouldnt use that.

what are your guys opinions / experiances?

thanks

nate

If the manufacturer recommends that no sealant be used, then so be it. It’s possible that Nissan’s HG may be composed of different materials. I’ve never heard of liquid gasket being used on a head gasket application. Just follow the manufactuer’s instructions, they are the ones who made the product. While you have the head off it’s always a good idea to have it hot tanked, fluxed, decked and pressure tested. Also, you are using new fasteners to bolt it all back together? Most bolts/nuts that require that kind of staging are torque to yeild (use once then throw away)

yes i used new arp head studs when i did this… fsm said to use sealant for the oem gasket. but again i have read that you shouldnt use it with a multi layer metal head gasket.

just wondering

Not sure about apexi but Cometics MLS gasket uses a viton coating for sealing and I installed the gasket as is. Something you can check into.

Too late now nate!

No sealers are required for an apexi gasket. Cometic you need to use sealers because its a pos gasket. :slight_smile:

Hey man better safe than sorry, you won’t know if you dont ask.

Cometic mls hg’s come with a viton coating and when installed right work great.