Honda n00b - question about clutch.

I wanted to know what I would be looking at to have the clutch replaced in a 1996 Honda Civic Coupe 5 speed. I’m guessing that it’s a D16 if that makes a difference. How much is it usually for a clutch, and how much (labor) would it cost to install it?

Jeff @ 1st Try …

what kind of clutch do you want installed?
figure on $50 for flywheel resurace
honda trans fluid think that one takes 2.5 qts at $8-9/qt
PM if interested will let you know the labor.

I was thinking probably just a stock clutch. Car is a stock DD, no need for anything else.

you can find replacement clutches from 125 and up Im pretty sure a clutch replacement on a d16 books for 3-5hrs depending on what book your going by so figure anywhere from $375-500 depending on the labor rates of the shop you pick. if you have a garage and tools and some common sense you can do it yourself…gotta love honda simplicity. I have done mine 6-7 times now…i would be happy to give you instructions or help if u need it.

I can help you out as well if you want man…

Thanks everyone. This isn’t even necessarily for me, but I will need to know if I pick this car up. If not, you’ll see it on here in the classifieds needing a clutch. Haha

Like alreay said…I could help as well. Not terribly difficult at all. For a OEM type clutch (disc/plate only) might run you 200 ish at most. Labor depends entirely on where you take it. IIRC shop manual lists 5-6 hrs labor for that particular job…gearhead might know the quoted labor time better than I.

Are you considering this car for yourself, or for someone else?

Its 5.4hr total plus flywheel machining… i’m 50/hr so thats 270 and like jeff said, about 50 to cut the flywheel… so 320 total from jtech

plus clutch purchase

ebay 6 puck… oh they’re delicious

i have a 98 honda civic i baught an OEM clutch from advanced and did it myself out and in it took about 4.5 hours and it was my first clutch install so i was learning along the way

I was considering the car for myself if I could get it cheap enough, but now it’s in the classifieds. My buddy who owns the car has another car and doesn’t feel like doing a new clutch… or messing with it at all, just wants rid of it.