honeymoon destinations?

well, as i get closer and closer to my wedding this summer, I still cant decide on a place to go for the honeymoon.

The original plan was to fly into Birmingham, AL on Oct. 3rd, head to Talladega for the race on Oct. 5th, and then on monday the 6th leave for Jamaica.

My only problem is its around $4500 for all inclusive to Jamaica, and thats a bit more than I wanted to spend. It could easily be afforded, but I would rather go somewhere a bit cheaper and use the extra $ to pay down some bills to get us ready for kids soon. Especially since no matter where we go, I’ll be doing the same thing…being lazy, drinking and sitting in the sun.

So my question to you guys is…what places(intl or domestic) have you gone and had a good time for a decent price? My only stipulations are that it be warm, there be a beach, and thats about it, lol. All suggestions/previous experiences are appreciated

All inclusive to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. Been there 4 times. 3 times with my family and then once with friends and been a great time. Hotels are awesome and most include all the drinks you want and 3 meals. I think it was about $1500 per person total between driving to Toronto, staying the night there, and flying the charter out.

Also, its about 15 minutes outside of Cancun so you get away from the craziness and cheaper but still have drinking bus trips into the city if you want to hop on one. Also the hotels have tons of stuff to do. You can rent wave runners, para sail, scuba diving to Cozumel which is amazing (they will certify you), and lots of tourist places.

I hear mogadishu is nice that time of year

Boxxa - thanks for that info! My fiance is really pushing to go to mexico, and I was trying to stay away from it, but the more and more i hear about it, the more inclined I am to check it out.

lol, been watching Blackhawk Down lately?

My GF has been looking at doing an all-inclusive wedding/honeymoon for when we get married (I’ve obviously gotta purpose first :P); down in the Carribean, the whole package was like 4 or 5 grand for everything (Airfare for us, plus up to 4 other people for witnesses, hotel for us for a week and guests for 2 nights, and everything at the resort); I think it was a Sandel’s resort. I’d imagine just a honeymoon would be cheaper, but it also depends on when during the year it is.

prolly should have specified that…getting married aug. 30, but not leaving for the honeymoon until Oct. 4…to Alabama, then leaving AL on the 6th.

I’ve always loved it. Check out Apple Vacations. They usually book everything and its really convenient. Even get you situated when you get there too.

This is the latest hotel we stayed at. It was great, even have a club on site so you really have no reason to leave or spend money if you dont want to either.

http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Cancun-hotels/Iberostar-Quetzal_3_69.html

thanks for the link!!! that place looks REALLY nice.

i think you may have just sold me on this place! Thanks again man!

Playa Del Carmen is really nice. I recommend the Gran Porto Real and Iberostar complex (tucan, quetzal, lindo).
My other HIGHLY recommended destination for the money is Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, some great deals to be had there on top of the line places.

In places like DR, is it the compound type places where you really shouldnt travel outside?

They’re all huge complexes, and really spread out, no matter where you go, unless you’re right in the middle of a huge city like cancun. You can’t really walk anywhere from them. You can take a cab to town to go out, shopping, etc. and you’re fine, short of going down dark alleys alone at night and the like. I’ve gone into town to go to the bars, dinner, snorkelling, shopping etc. in the DR, jamaica, mexico, etc. without problems, long as you dont get frustrated with people trying to sell you crap at their little shops and guys hooting and hollering at your girl

Anyone ever been to Mexico in September or October?

For mine I’m going to Italy/ Rome, and Abruzzi, My family has two vacation homes in the city and the mountains. After that week is over its Hawaii for the last week. Another great place is the Bahamas. We stayed at the Atlantis. Its definitely the best hotel there.

not to go off topic, but i stayed there a couple times. was there 3 weeks ago. very extravagant hotel. a bit more than the 4500 deal though…

i think your best bet is cancun type deals. my buddy got some 800$ all inclusive deal there, and just snuck into the nicer areas. he said the hotel really wasnt bad. there’s probably 129023 places like that down there

I looked into doing an all-inclusive for my honeymoon, but again I didn’t want to spend tons of money because we’re tentatively going to India in April 2009 so we decided that a cruise is the most affordable and you know exactly what you’re getting. I was also iffy on doing the whole all-inclusive at places that I wasn’t too sure of. We’re going in October 2008 to Grand Caymans and Mexico for a 5-day cruise.

been to mexico once and jamaica like 4 times. jamiaica has way better food. and you can drink the water in jamiaca haha. we stay at a RIU resort when we have gone to jamaica

india smells bad. id rather go all inclusive.
and you do know what you’re getting on a cruise: $10 drinks.

ive heard good and bad about Jamaica…thats where we were planning to go originally, until i heard some bad things about it.

You get used to the smell pretty quickly…its the deformed children that are the toughest to deal with…especially when its ones you know thier parents inflicted the harm on them to gain more handouts.

my last trip, a little girl with her arm burnt all the off down to almost the elbow was quite disturbing

lol, fortunately i dont live in a trailer