Vacation ideas v Searching for my lost shaker of salt...

Wifey and I are going to go somewhere for a week after the spring semester. Someplace with white sandy beaches where the most strenuous thing we’ll do all day is roll over. Well, maybe a day trip once or twice, but mostly just relaxing on a beach. Looking to spend <$3k.

Jamaica and Central America are out. Been there, done that.

Maybe some place in Mexico? I’ve never been there.

Caymen islands look nice:

What else ya got?

Dominican Republic. My rents used to go there every year and it was all inclusive for right around $2500 I think.

What resort did they stay at? Was it busy? Adults only?

Thanks fish man!

www.riu.com

Mexico : Playa Del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

Around 2,300 for Flight/8 days 24-hour All-inclusive.

<3

we stayed at a super plush place in key largo for like 2K for a week. was a very “baller” place, however the keys don’t really have white sand beaches.

mostly just went to the resort pool that had sand around it. It was right on the ocean, just the keys don’t have much beach-wise.

it was cheaper because it was off-season so it’d probably be around 3K peak seasons.

http://www.marinersclubkeylargo.com/marinersclub/KeyLargo/klphoto.aspx?MenuId=05

just sat around in hammocks and drank all day while i was there, was great. you can do a day trip to key largo for fun, snorkel or scuba. thats all we did really

edit: IIRC its the only 5 star resort in the keys

Cancun has some nice places in that range
STAY AWAY from Grand Oasis Cancun-wife and i were just there in november the staff sucked green donkey dicks. Glenny travel in fort erie does some good prices if your willing to fly out of TO.

I hate cancun, most of the places there suck, tequila boom was sweet, bongo room was cool but they have a PATTY O’BRIANS…

For what you’re looking for I’d suggest Punta Cana in the DR or Playa Del Carmen on the Mayan Riviera in mexico, about an hour from cancun. Hotels I can personally vouch for as top notch are the Iberostar Bavaro, RIU Palace, and Gran Bahia Principe in punta cana, and Iberostar Quetzal and Gran Porto Real in mexico. Those are ranging in size from very big and busy to more secluded.

Funny you made this thread, the GF wants to go to Mexico this summer, and while she wants to jump head first into the first online deal she found, I’m more interested in looking around and finding the best deal for the best place. Our budget is also around ~2500.

AAA has a deal going to cancun, 7 day all-inclusive at some place ( i cant remember ) and i guess it was 3.5. The reviews online were adequate.

Fry, maybe change the title of this thread? I’m sure tons of people have a lot more insight.

gf wants the Riu-Caribe. Have you been to cancun?

I was at the Riu Caribe when it was the Gran Caribe Real and it was a really good time. Right in the party zone, but not a shitty spring breaker low quality place. They haven’t really changed too much since it changed companies I don’t think, massive pool, food was good, beach was on the side with the big waves but pretty nice.

From all my research, the riu in Mexico is the best bet for the all-inclusive, activites and flight… but only the 2 places I mentioned…Cancun gets more expensive…they also have a resort in Cabo which is $$…

We should be headed there May 2009

OMFG cayman islands are SOOOOO NASTY

i went there 3 or 4 times when i was younger and it was incredible.
the weather, the location, the restaurants.

you would LOVE spending a week or so there. its incredible.

riu ftw

i like cabo :tup:

FTMFW

http://www.superclubs.com/brand_hedonism/index.asp?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=ADGROUP1&utm_campaign=G-HEDONISM

http://www.alaskacruiseexperts.com/

i know nothing that your looking for but i like the cold …worth a look

Eh I think I like more secluded types of places than those Riu hotels, although they look awesome. This might be a bit more remote/third worldy than we want but maybe something more like this:

http://www.roatanonline.com/moreroatan/images_westbay/roatan.jpg

Roatan, Honduras.

Sureshot I’ll let you know what we come up with. Between her, myself, and her mother we’ve been a bunch of places in Central America and the Carribean. We’ll be doing a lot of research this weekend so I’ll update.

I think my wife’s latest thought was, uh…

This place:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/09/5c/7b/beach.jpg

Canary Islands, Tenerife specifically. They’re owned by Spain, but off the coast of Africa, near Morocco. They have a bit of European, Caribbean, and Moroccan all mixed together.

It’s absolutely beautiful there, I don’t remember the name of the place I stayed at, but there are definitely secluded resorts there.

Somehow I think getting there will blow our whole budget. I’m guessing you have to connect in Europe somewhere? Amsterdam or Paris?

EDIT: Yep, Madrid. Flights are over $2k.

Thanks though. I’ll keep that in mind for a future trip. :tup:

ps, before you book at a hotel, check out www.tripadvisor.com to see others perspective and read reviews on the thotel