hood pins

hey guys, I’ve been lookin into purchasing new hood pins. My hood latch is broken(some damage on the rad support part that supports the hood latch), and I’ve been using the cheap canadian tire $15 hood pins, which started to show rust after about a month. So since i plan to repaint my car, I decided that I might as well get new hood pins, with locks since…well anyone can just open my hood haha…

anyway I was looking at this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNIVERSAL-JDM-CARBON-FIBER-RACING-HOOD-PIN-LOCK-W-KEYS_W0QQitemZ140185928762QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I’ve seen a few DOAs on the web where people put them on their cars, but nobody has mentioned whether they are decent functioning…

so I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum that have hood pins/tried hood pins and what they think of that ebay one?

recommend any other type? brand? I want a set with locks/keys.

thx in advance.

I’ve never had a non-stock hood on my car, so I’ve never looked into what brands are good, but I wouldn’t cheap out on hood pins. They hold your hood closed, that’s kinda important :smiley:

that’s true…but the canadian tire $15 ones, in terms of holding the hood down, work 100%…lol so I figured that the ebay ones for twice the price should work as good, if not better? hmm…but yea I’m willing to spend more than $50 on hood pins haha…which is about the price someone is selling a set of Aerocatch hood pins, but I dont really want to have to cut such a large chunk out of the hood…would rather stick with the single hole hood pins…i’ve seen alot of modified cars with hood pins, but when I search, I cant really find any info on certain brands n effectiveness…

you should be looking for something stainless steel or powder coated, something that will stand up to the elements. try performance improvments. they may have some high end stuff your looking for.

peace

honestly man… dont FK around… especially the ebay… everything ive ever bought off them has dissapointed me…
just get the AERO catch pins (a guy has them for sale in the FS section) i know there pricy but well worth it… lastly… u could run down to home hardware and make good ones with 2 bolts and a fare sized pin… i trust the pin latches over the locks anyday (its one thing to “break into your car” if u lose the keys… now how do u think ur getting in the engine bay…

if ur gonna risk these then save more money at least… same product cheaper price.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2x-Luxury-Carbon-fiber-Hood-Lock-Pin-with-2-keys_W0QQitemZ170174030636QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the reason I dont want to get the aerocatch hood pins is cuz i dont want to have to cut such a large hole in my hood lol…if there are name brand hood pins which are pricier, I dont mind paying more money, but I cant seem to find any name brand ones lol…

where is performance improvements?

bytheway, the link you gave, the price is about the same…with shipping and all, but yea…i’d like to havce a set that has keys since I can keep a set at home…so if i were to lose my keys, i’d have a backup set at home…but regardless if i can get a good set that doesnt happen to have keys, i’ll get it…besides, I dont see how the ebay ones could be that bad? unless the pins snap or something under pressure?

my $15 canadian tire ones are working fine…just rusting and are all scratched up cuz of my dented hood…but once i put another hood on, i wont have anything to scratch the hood pins causing the rust to start…

performance improvments is in barrie on dunlop street.

as a side note… a guy find out a longtime ago that u can brake into those bike lock style locks with the back end of a white bic pen(remove the blue cap, jam into hole and away you go…)

try looking up MOPAR or super bee or charger(mucle car hood pins) for quailty high HP pins… most dont have locks but im sure theres something

just for jokes u could get normal hood pins and put padlocks on them;)

haha thanks for the info haha, and as for locks, i’m not TOO worried in terms of thieves trying to get in…since i dont have much under the hood…it’s just that if i have locks, it’ll deter the average person from wanting to pull at it or something…i met someone who’s got a foxbody mustang with the same ghetto canadian tire hoodpins, he said his pins got stolen 3 times, so now he just puts padlocks on them…I dont want to have to go through that haha

Go to JRP and buy some Sparco ones for like 20-30 bucks. Locks suck and are a pain in the ass. Your hood will still latch so no one will be able to open it up if they pull the pins anyways.

ah, there’s an answer i was lookin for lol thanks koukis14. JRP’s alot closer than barrie lol

“where is performance improvements?”

Performance improvements are all over the place, one in brampton @ kennedy just south of queen across from NAPA, and etobicoke on Queensway, about a block west of islington!

i got a set of the exact same pins you were looking at on ebay.
im located in scarborough
brand new never used. i picked em up but then i just decided to stick wth my sparcos or i was going to pick up the areocatch ones
LMK

how are they? have u taken them out of the package? in terms of feel? do the pins that keep the hood locked down to the car feel sturdy? lol that is my main concern…i dont want to be driving around on the highway only to have my hood fly up on me haha