Host your own email exchange server

Can someone please provide some assistance to hosting an email exchange server? This is for a small business with maximum 20 email addresses. We currently already have a server running Windows Server 2003 R2 (64bit) on a T1 line. Can we also run our email exchange (Exchange 2003) on the same server? I presume we would need two public IP addresses to set up the email (dns1.domain.com, dns2.domain.com)?

Here are some more noob questions:

1. Our parent company is currently hosting our emails. Will we be able to host our own and use the same domain with their permission? Would there be any issues?

2. What type of intrusion detection and firewall programs would you recommend?

3. What are the costs involved?

4. Any other tips / advice.

Thanks in advance.

This post makes my head hurt…

Why don’t you talk to the parent company first about hosting your own email…You really won’t be able to share the same domain name unless they forward email to your email server.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:2,topic:37876"”]

Why don’t you talk to the parent company first about hosting your own email…You really won’t be able to share the same domain name unless they forward email to your email server.

[/quote]

:word:

I suspect following the guidance of the parent company would be a good idea.

However if they told you to ‘set it up’ and it’s your responsibility to ‘set it up’ then perhaps you are in line for a career change.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:2,topic:37876"”]

[/quote]

We’ve already discussed it with the parent company. We’re opting to have our own, because their server has too much downtime. So I guess it wouldnt make any sense to forward emails to the server.

What about running Windows Server 2003 (64bit) with Exchange 2003? From what I understand, Exchange 2003 cannot run with 64bit O/S? What are our alternatives?

Thanks.

Usually companies in your position run a small business server.

If not then your going to need another box running exchange.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:3,topic:37876"”]

I suspect following the guidance of the parent company would be a good idea.

However if they told you to ‘set it up’ and it’s your responsibility to ‘set it up’ then perhaps you are in line for a career change.

[/quote]

LOL… this is not what I do for my career, just trying to help my boss as they are still trying to hire IT staff.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:5,topic:37876"”]

Usually companies in your position run a small business server.

If not then your going to need another box running exchange.

[/quote]

Duly noted. So just to clarify, Windows Small Business Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 are different O/S? Thanks.

Good info. I think we’ll have to get another small server for our emails, unless we can switch our current O/S to 32 bit to be compatible with Exchange 2003. How difficult would it be to revert back to a 32 bit O/S without affecting the current files/database? The server has 6 HDs running raid in mirror and also stripe.

Btw, I replied back to your PM.

Depends on what kind of load you already have on the current server…

If its already a file/database server I would suggest just getting another server.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:10,topic:37876"”]

Depends on what kind of load you already have on the current server…

If its already a file/database server I would suggest just getting another server.

[/quote]

Yeah, it’s already used as a file/database server. So back to building and running a mail exchange server.

I will need to do the following after we have server built.

1. register a domain name (www.register.com)
  2. use 2 NICs configured w/ 2 static IP addresses
  3. setup DNS servers (domain, mx records, zones, A record, etc…)
  4. configure DNS at www.register.com
  5. change emails extensions user@mydomainname.com
  6. test in outlook

Any other tips/advice? Thanks for your guidance.

for 20 accounts why are you even bothering with an exchange server…

if you need calendaring jsut set everyone up with gmail accounts and share the calendars through that… It really seems like much for just 20 accounts

[quote=“ILCisDEAD,post:12,topic:37876"”]

for 20 accounts why are you even bothering with an exchange server…

if you need calendaring jsut set everyone up with gmail accounts and share the calendars through that… It really seems like much for just 20 accounts

[/quote]

It would be easier to do that especially after google has IMAP, but the owner of the company has requested to keep the domain name similar to previous. Furthermore, the company is growing at a rapid pace and we need to have sufficient capacity for future employees.

you really should just hire a company to help you with this. If you are expecting rapid growth, you need to plan your IT infrastructure as such or your just going to spend more money in the future.

Or hire some qualified people to take care of this for you…like me!

[quote=“sureshot007,post:16,topic:37876"”]

Or hire some qualified people to take care of this for you…like me!

[/quote]

The office is based in TX. :stuck_out_tongue:

In any case, I’d also like how to learn how to do it. I doubt it’s that complicated. I need to do some more studying/research. I was scrolling through some past bills from an outsourced IT company. It’s ridiculous for the amount of money our company has paid to do simple tasks such as setting up remote desktop on a workstation. I recently set up remote desktop for a few new employees and literally took a couple minutes. I cant imagine how much it would cost hiring an IT company to configure the exchange server. Besides, I wouldn’t mind a bigger bonus this year end LOL.

The Gmail solution is lame and unprofessional…

Most companies do well by having their own in house IT person and out sourcing major server addition and design to another company.

get Google for your email

easy way to get email with your addresses on it:

http://dmiessler.com/blogarchive/how-to-migrate-your-custom-domains-email-to-google-and-maintain-your-addresses