House Hunt

So my wife and I have been looking for a house to buy so that we can sell our townhouse and get a little more space. We had found this awesome house and the guy was asking like $150,000 for it but there was some work that needed done so we offered $140,000 figuring we would get a reply and negotiate from there. Well the guy comes back with full asking price saying that he won’t even break even if he gets asking price (which is weird because on the allegheny county property assessment site, he bought it for a dollar and his mother is on the deed :jerkit:). So we offered $142,000 instead and apparently he laughed at our offer and said he won’t sell until he gets full asking price. We don’t think the house is worth what he wants so we are done dealing with him. I figure he can call us in 2 months after his house sits on the market without any more offers and he needs someone to buy it.

Anyways, I was messing around on Pittspeed yesterday and saw that thread where you can look up court dockets. I decided to look the guy up and he has one charge of disorderly conduct, one charge of assault, and then back in November he got charged with assault, indecent assualt, and rape. :doh: Had to post $50,000 bail, guess that is why he needs so much money, haha.

HAHAH, thats too funny! Shit there is probably bodies burried in the backyard!

Is it bad that I still want the house? haha

Tell him to F-off…it’s a buyers market right now…he is very lucky he got any kind of offer at all…

Funny story:

When I was at Northwood, I was told about a client who listed at $179,900.

Three days later a buyer offered $175k, preapproved.

The seller not only refused the offer, but also refused to counter.

Eighteen months later, it was still unsold. All to try to make an extra $4900.

Yeah, in the end our offer was only 7,900 less than he was asking. We offered like 94% of asking price.

Good luck on anyone getting full price offers right now! only time you see it is when the property is severly underpriced and has multiple offers or the seller is kicking the buyer money towards closing costs!

His court dockets prove he’s an asshole! right now any offer is a good offer.

ShalerPunk, yeah this guy will probably come to find out that in most cases the best offer is the best offer! I can tell a lot of stories like the one you mentioned! One buyer came in low, the seller laughed at it and we walked away. Six months later it was still their favorite house, so we came back with an even lower offer. Ended up settling close to the original offer… Seller got stuck with six month’s mortgage and utilities when he could have just walked away!

keep in mind do not get emotinally attached. houses are not a rare commodity. there are always others.

Wait 2 months, then offer him 130,000.

HOw does one go about looking up what an owner paid for the house?

Is there anyway to find out how much someone still owes on a house?

The price of a house is public information, and available at the courthouse, or online for most counties.

How much they owe is a private matter between them and the bank. I doubt you’d get the info from either party.

If they live in allegheny county, you can go to http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Search.aspx and enter the address. It will show you a picture of the house, how much the current owner paid and various other types of info.

Yeah its out by latrobe

http://www.wcdeeds.us/dts/default.asp

Tell him to F-off…it’s a buyers market right now…he is very lucky he got any kind of offer at all…

Exactly…guy’s a moron if he thinks he’s in any sort of position of power right now.

Update: The guy’s mom is on the deed with him and she called our realator today and wants to negotiate so it sounds like we might get the house!

you can pull someones mortgage up and see what they put down and etc… a good tittle searcher can show you this since its a major part of closing since they have to see about liens on a property

You can’t always go by what the deed has for the consideration. A lot of the time they will do deeds of gift, or list like $10 to get around transfer tax and whatnot.

A lot of recorded mortgages have the actual loan number and some other docs have a ssn#. You can get a lot of info from a banks automated line with this info.

Well, we got the house. We only had to give a couple thousand more dollars which has next to no effect on our downpayment or monthly payment. Hopefully we will close and be into the house within a couple months. Just crossing my fingers that the inspection go well.

Now our house is on the market so if anyone is interested in a fully updated townhouse in Bethel Park, let me know. It’s priced to sell!

congrats, good luck on both the inspections and on your home sale! Let me know if you need any Realtor assistance on the sale… (or if you have any questions, glad to offer my two bits)