How bad would a C5 Z06 be in the snow?

I think a C5 Z06 could be really good in the snow.

You can easily fit 17" wheels on all four corners, so buy some 17x8.5s. Then get some 235/45/17 fronts and 235/55/17 rears.

Drop two sand bag in the truck and you’ll be golden! Car has traction control if you want it.

As far as cargo space, the Z is worse then the hatch. The hatches fit tons of stuff in them.

It sucks your ride to work never brings you over 35mph…unless you count that 45 section from the light on milersport to where you turn :lol:

The average speed on this tank of gas is 28.1 MPH. I was looking at it this morning and I made me :frowning:

And fuck traction control. When it’s snowing the first button I hit after starting the car is the T/C to turn it off. I’d much rather spin my tires and go than be trying to pull out and have the car basically shut off.

lol I remember reading that.

snow tires are for pussies

I’ve talked about it on corvetteforum with non salt states and they don’t seem to have any issues as long as they drive smart with snow and some added weight. Hell they seem to down right enjoy it. IMHO buffalo in general is just way to harsh of a winter … with all the salt and road debris it’s just hell on the paint not to mention the corrosion on everything else.

I just realized the one I saw was a convertible…

Shit would be dope. I am honestly thinking of getting an SUV/Truck for towing and such for the rx7. If I do you better believe I would DD a 996TT in the winter.

I think especially given your available resources(other vehicle and wife to share commute) and a short commute to work would make this totally feasible.

how low it is would be the only real problem.

why do people look at C5 Z06s when a base C6 looks like a better and newer car for the same money? (at least they did when I was looking a year or so back).

I think the C5 Z06 is quicker though, it is lighter… maybe under rated too(not sure, was told by an owner before though)

I’m pretty sure that the C6 vette is ~$10k more expensive than a C5 Z06

Northtowns…no big deal. Southtowns…I think you’d be in for more than you bargained for.

Icy plow leftovers in front of your driveway, parking lots, etc. would beat up that front end. You could drive through/over this for sure, but be ready to expect some light damage.

I like the C5Z better looks wise. You can get them withing 5-7k easily. I do think for a DD though it would probably make sense to go for the newer C6 although on an ls based car if he got the c5z for 5-6k less that is a lot of maintenance.

I actually drove a C5 vette in the snow once. It was TERRIBLE and not because of traction - that stupid plastic air dam thing under the front bumper just plowed anything high enough and eventually the car couldn’t push enough snow to move. It’s like having your own mini snowplow.

my car starts plowing snow any higher then like 2" and i do just fine in the winter and i drive about 50 miles a day. never got stuck where i needed to be towed out and that was on all seasons. im runnin hakka 2’s now.

i wouldnt be worried about ground clearance, id be more worried about how wide the tires are. id stick some narrower ones on fer snows.

Wonder how hard it would be to just take that off in the winter.

Not like I’m planning on doing this tomorrow. It’s going to be a while before the kid is out of a car seat and I really need to replace the wife’s truck before I think about replacing the GTO.

But based on logical discussion I’m pretty damn sure a Vette is in my future. And I guarantee I will take a picture of it covered in snow/salt and post it on the vette forums. Never have I seen a larger sack of assholes than when I went over to the Z06 forums just to poke around. They all act like a Vette is an all original mint condition Shelby. It’s just a car, it depreciates even if it sits in your garage on everything but sunny days. In fact, that’s why an asshole like me can pick up one with less than 30k miles that looks like it just came off the showroom floor and DD the shit out of it for a reasonable price.

lol corvette owners

From what I’m told, that plastic part is essential to the cooling of the engine in a vette and if removed it will cause overheating problems.

And when you pack it with ice & snow you’re also blocking airflow to / from the engine. It’s a huge PITA to clear when that happens too.

Ever hear the saying “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should?”

I say as long as the roads aren’t bad, if there is only a couple inches mine as well!