RWD in the winter

I’m curious, how many of you who have RWD cars actually drive them year round? This past winter I didn’t do so well in the snow with the Z, although I acknowledge that I was running on 18" crappy Kuhmo Supras. I’ve got the stock 16" wheels though and I’m prepping them for paint/snow tires with the hope of being able to drive the Z in the winter. I’m starting at HVCC in a few months and I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it in the winter months with the Z. I’m considering even possibly selling the Z and buying an AWD car.

Depends on how you drive really and whether or not you have good snow tires on it. My firebird is a torquey bastard and it did fairly well, as long as I didn’t get stuck. No better nor worse than my AWD Talon. Only slid the ass out going up steep hills. Same with the 240, that actually handled amazingly well in the snow.

I’ve slid down a hill before in the Z and it was pretty scary.lol I’m kind of worried about that steep ass hill you have to go up on the way to HVCC. I don’t think I could make it up there in the snow.

My experience with that hill going to Hudson Valley in the winter - is that you - and most everyone else that goes there drives - they know that- so they are usually pretty good at taking care of that hill as far as keeping it for the most part clear, even the parking lot - if the snow doesn’t come in at a wierd time it is cleared, usually. That is though - at the cost of trying to peek out into traffic around the 202190129 feet tall snow banks they plow. Or you can go one light past that big hill , closer to Hess, and take a less steep hill to Hudson Valley

Wrong tires will make even an AWD or FWD car feel “bad” in the snow, proper tires will make it feel like summer driving.

Put proper tires on the Z, wash the salt off before it does any damage and keep your foot of the gas and you will do fine.

Our winters are getting shorter and shorter and the amount of days with actual snow on the roads is minimal.

Awd in general will be better, but if you properly set yourself up, the Z will do fine as well.

What most people don’t realize is that all-season tires are not meant for the kind of snow situations we sometimes get into.

Been driving an M3 in the winter for 4 years and I dont think twice about it. The only time I’ve been stuck is in snow deep enough a rally car wouldnt been beached. Snow tires and a proper alignment make ALL the difference.

I had some Bridgestone Blizzaks and I loved them on my neon. I know its FWD but the difference in the snow was still night and day. However they wore out after about 25K miles on me

I hate driving rwd in the winter. I had two 2wd trucks and got thru the winter without snow tires but Id rather just have a 4x4, awd or fwd for winter driving.

Trucks are an entirely different case, especially without snow tires.

I just threw some bags of cement in the bed of the Ranger (had a cap) and some cinder blocks in the bed of the S10 and I made it ok with all season tires (BFG’s on the Ranger and Cornell’s on the S10).

I dont even like driving my Mustang in the rain.

My parents are pretty set on me selling it, I’m thinking about just selling and buying a Turbo Audi.

RWD + Winter + me, you, and any of the other crazy driving nuts on this board =

'88 Porsche 944 with C2 turbo wheels/tires in the back. Best winter car eva. True story.

Just buy a $500 winter beater and keep your Z.

I have driven my mustang through the past 2 winters. I have a different set of rims and snow tires I throw on, but it makes it alright. I just try not to go out if I don’t have to.

:wow :idiots

save the z. buy a winter BEATER. period. or do what jclark said and get snow tires.

rwd is fun as hell in the winter, but when your actually trying to drive w/o having the back end kick out, its a pain.

Its not entirely my decision in the end. My parents aren’t thrilled about another car, our driveway is packed full as it is. And as much as I love the Z, something with a less complicated engine and possibly somewhat of a warranty would be awesome. I thinking either VR-4 or Audi TT.

Just ask a relative about storing your car for the winter. I keep my Mustang in my grandmother’s driveway in the nicer weather and in my other grandmother’s garage for the winter.

You could always sell the beater in the spring or demo derby it.

I dont really think the engine in a VR4 is any less complicated than yours.

:bowdown ya. about the same.

buy my Bronco

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Mafdark/P1010126-1.jpg

:nod

holy fuck that things a tank lol