How do I defunk my SD card?

I keep a 2 gig SD card in my phone. I was at my buddy’s place on Saturday and he dumped some pics from my wedding onto the card with his USB card reader.

The folder didn’t show in the browser on my phone so I stuck the card in the SD reader on my laptop and began to copy/paste. At just about the end of the pasting it spat out an error. Now I cannot access the card, formatting with windoze explorer fails and locks explorer, but with format e: through command prompt it will successfully format except half the card is in “bad sectors” chkdsk /f doesn’t fix anything.

The fuck do I do? Chew on it and buy a new card?

Ive had this problem before in a dell axim pda, but it was a common problem at the time with 256mb sd cards in axim’s and sandisk gave me a new one… Maybie its shot? I dont know, flash sometimes can do some stupid stuff that just sucks to try and get it to work again…

Id try it on a different computer or try formatting it your phone, or in a camera or something besides a computer…

If its a sandisk, you could send it back and get a new one if its less than a year old…

Make sure all the contacts are clean, otherwise you might be SOL if nothing can read it properly, nor can be formatted without error.

bad sectors usually means replace it.

Doesn’t recognize in the phone anymore. It was a whopping 30 bucks. Thank God it didn’t give up the ghost 3 weeks ago when it was full of wedding and honeymoon pictures. That reminds me, I had really better get going on that backup HDD…

check to see if there is a media checking utility on the manufactures website. try doing what your doing in Linux, windows sucks sometimes.

Check the manufacturer warranty… my CF card for my camera died and i got it replaced for free due to a 3 year warranty…

[quote=“Locutus,post:6,topic:32106"”]

check to see if there is a media checking utility on the manufactures website. try doing what your doing in Linux, windows sucks sometimes.

[/quote]

:tup: werd

I had a flash drive crap out on me once. Went to the manufacturers website and they had a special tool for download to format the drive. Worked 100% after that

Formatted successfully with a Canon camera. Seems OK thus far.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:9,topic:32106"”]

Formatted successfully with a Canon camera. Seems OK thus far.

[/quote]

:wink:

Yep, sometimes just a good ol hardcore, ‘i dont care whats wrong’ format from a camera works wonders… Computers just sit there screaming, OH MY GOD, THIS THING IS JACKED!!!

i have a similar problem. I purchased a 4 gig SD card cheap online “woot.com

but my old kodac 5mp camera wont read anything over a 2 gig.

Is there a way to reformat the card down to 2gig? I know older cameras used memory cards with a switch to make them twice the capacity.

[quote=“RedrRocket,post:11,topic:32106"”]

i have a similar problem. I purchased a 4 gig SD card cheap online “woot.com

but my old kodac 5mp camera wont read anything over a 2 gig.

Is there a way to reformat the card down to 2gig? I know older cameras used memory cards with a switch to make them twice the capacity.

[/quote]

Eww… Um, 4gb in a cheaper camera is prety hardcore useless, it tends to make you nearly never backup your pics and theyre all just sitting there on the card, and if something goes wrong to the cheap flash or the camera gets lost or stolen, your screwed… But it is nice to know its there…

Anyways, im prety sure if you partition it to 2gb it should read it, i dont really know the best way to do that in windows, but in mac its hella easy… You might even be able to partition it into 2 portions to make it like 2 2gb cards, but i dont think the camera will suport that, i know my bros sony does tho…