How do you find rental homes/townhomes/condos?

I have been searching and searching online but all I keep finding is the main apartment complexes to rent, advertising everywhere.

On Zillow.com I found ONE condo to rent from an owner. I went to look at it today and it was nice, but there has to be more than one. All of Amherst is either nice houses or condos!

Is there a realty office in Amherst that deals with rental properties, or a website for strictly people trying to rent out their homes/condos?

Craigslist? or try the old fashion way, the paper, Penny saver.

X…

Craigslist… it’s the only way I use to advertise my rentals.

Awesome, thanks. Just scoped a place that looks promising for $1,300/mo. Hopefully it isn’t a dump. Going to check it out in a couple of hours.

:tup:

I’ll have to keep an eye on CL and Buffalonews.com classifieds.

Any other websites to keep an eye on?

Put the word out to friends and family. A lot of people try to rent out to someone that they know, or close to it.

x…

Any particular reason to spend that much just to rent? Why not just buy?

Good advice. I do this and would rather rent my lower to someone I know and have some form of trust with for cheaper then a stranger for more money.

I know that some real estate companies also advertise rental properties in addition to homes for sale. Look on Realty USA and Hunt’s websites and you’ll see some on there. Mostly nicer houses and whatnot also, so if that’s what you’re looking for you might have some luck.

My parents rent their condo out in Florida through their realtor. If you are looking for a higher end one for a longer than a week stay, that may be the way to go. Local papers seem to focus on the smaller week rentals from what I noticed.

Pulls craigslist (plus other places), puts them on easy google maps layout, plus tons of other info.

Word of mouth. Realtors around here are no help when it comes to apartments.

Not to prove you wrong, but…

http://realtyusa.com/property/proplist.asp?PRM_PropertyTypeCode=RNT&selRegion=buffaloniagara

I wish I had asked you guys sooner. These ideas are awesome and that padgrabber.com website is awesome!

I went to look at that 3 br townhouse last night and it was incredible. 10 foot ceilings on the 1st floor with vaulted ceilings upstairs, including a full 750 sq. ft. basement. The living room downstairs was open concept into the kitchen, which took up the entire 750 sq. ft. 1st floor. My 2br/1ba apartment now is only 980 sq. ft. so the living room is almost as large as where I am now. The place was built only 8 years ago and everything is updated. I have already put a security deposit down and I’m excited as all hell to essentially double my square footage for only $250 more per month! And to top it off, I will finally not have 5 neighbors surrounding me on all sides, but just one other townhouse directly next to me. Even better, the living area and master bedroom are at the outside wall, so there’s no directl wall between the neighbor and my place! I cannot wait to NOT hear my neighbors talking through the walls! And I can actually use my stereo now without “Can you turn that down? I can hear it clearly through my wall.”

As for not buying vs. renting. I like the freedom to move at will and NYS taxes suck so bad that it makes the housing choices suck. I’d rather live in a really nice place now while I’m young than wait 20 years while being enslaved through a couple of crappy starter homes which I hate, all while building up that ever so awesome equity. I will just save money now while living in the nice place, worry free of repair costs and other things associated with the 50+ year old homes all around this area. And I do not want to own a condo with attached neighbors… no thanks.

lol

LOL for serious.