how do you measure "fast"

Just as the title says, what are some of the things that make you define a car as ‘fast’ or not.

Lets hear it… :drama:

/thread

damn, thats fast lol. I should have known better here.

seriously though. I think my car is slow, but any faster & it needs a cage at the track. Just curious as to what other people think fast is. Is it running a specific number at the track? trapping a certain speed? a dyno number?

fast is when the vehicle produces a postive longitudinal G force greater than you are normally used to experiencing.

…or when you need a parachute :smiley:

when you can rotate the earth!!

i say quick street car now is 12s
fast street car to lookout for would be in one that will run in the 10s
anything faster is ridiculously awesome for a street car lol

X2!!

Fast is driving a car at its limit, and also near the limit of its driver.

A civic at 100 mph being driven by a 16 year old is relatively faster than a Merc S600 at 150 being driven by the Stig.

xtree

I think everyones opinion of fast is going to be diffrent based off what they’ve driven/ridden in. IMO a camaro/transam,mustang,sti,evo etc cars are more than enought to satisfy the average person. Its always a nice thing to go faster but you’ve to be content with something at some point or another. Theres people who drive a vtec civic and to them its the fastest thing on earth probaly because they’ve never ridden/driven anything faster.I just dont get when people with 500hp+ cars say there slow? doesnt make alot of sense lol. Thats more than enough to have fun with.

I have a crown vic and a 4 banger nissan altima, a mountain bike in top gear is considered fast for me. :smiley:

the thing with fast is horsepower is my drug. you always want more. but once you get a 500hp car and drive it for a while it will seem like a regualr car

Fast is seeing how many reloads 1320 can take in his mouth before gagging.

x4

but after you drive a 12 second car for months it becomes slow. then you need 11’s then 10’s i can only imagine after that. thats why summit and jegs makes so much money

fast street car to lookout for would be in one that will run in the 10s

agreed. If it aint 10’s it isnt really that fast these days. QUICK but not fast

but once you get a 500hp car and drive it for a while it will seem like a regualr car

About 6-7 sprayed runs and i’m used to the car’s speed. thats over 600hp on motor, should be closer to 630-640 i’d say. Granted its ‘fast’ and feels awesome but it doesnt scare me as much as the first time i sprayed the car.

Speed sucks, you get addicted and will always want more. there will never be enough

Fast for a street car is one that is on the edge of being able to use that power. If you cant hook up at any speed under full power WOT, reguardless of what tires you use and how well your suspension is, your way too fast for the street :slight_smile: these are generally your 900+whp cars i’d say… but there are alot of lighter 700+whp cars that will roast tire and cant use that power unless your going 80-100mph rollingstart.

Thats just not fun when you cant use it

Agreed. I always want more power.

rob, my car is slow lol don’t lie!! Seriously though, what a lot of you guys said is so true for all of us. I daily a truck that runs 18.5 @ 72mph and right now I’m struggling with the fact that on the rare occasion I take the cobra out, it doesn’t feel stupid fast anymore & I really really miss that feeling. I used to be afraid of the car but I’ve gotten used to it to the point where I feel like I can just mash the gas anytime I want.

Which is why I think I’m going to stash away for a whipple this winter. 600+ here I come :wackit:

I think as a general measuring stick, I use 120mph trap speeds as a measure of a ‘fast’ street car (and I mean a true blue street car; basic to advanced bolt on parts, could be a daily driver type of car) If the motor has been out of the car or replaced entirely, if it doesn’t hit 130 its a waste. My best trap has been 126.87 with street tires, but that isn’t how my car will run on the street when its heatsoaked - it would be more of a 119-123mph car.

I should make the disclaimer that I just left and made a snack in the middle of this post, so it might not make a lot of sense. You guys are smart. You’ll figure it out. :burnout:

fast is jeff driving to driving to giant eagle for a sale on hebrew nationals.

fast is the first day you drive a car after upgrades… the second day it is not fast anymore. I have made the jumps from 200, 300, now 400 and I am so content that it is slow. The jump is in larger multiples now… heres to 800 in the spring!

Um… I have two cars that, combined, create 330 HP, if that. It’s disgusting.

Fast to me is torque and 1/4 mile. Torque feels fast, 1/4 mile is just a personal favorite measure of “fast.”

I’ve ridden in cars (a truck) with 1,100+ TQ, and i’ve driven cars with 500-550+ HP. I think it’s really up to the driver how “fast” the car is.

My high 15’s Jeep felt fast at the time, because that was the fastest thing I had driven at the time, and it had pretty good torque. That was “fast” to me, then I drove some high horsepower (400+) cars, and realized it wasn’t shit.

My 240sx always felt “fast” to me. It’s best trap was 129mph. Especially when my daily was a Nissan Pathfinder. I could always get in the 240 and it felt like it was going to tear my heart out in every gear. I think its all in how the car is set up. I’ve driven cars with more power than my 240 had but they “felt” slower. I love the big rush you get with a turbo car when peak boost is achieved and you are forced into the seat.