How do you take out student loans?

I need to take out a student loan to pay for school but I have no clue where to start. I dont really have parents who support me or anything so I can ask them for help in pointing me in the right direction. I basically need help from the very beginning like hole my hand and walk me through all the steps needed to get a student loan. Where do you guys go and what do student loans cover? I need something that will cover 100% of my tuition books and possible housing if I decide to dorm/get an appartment. Thanx

Start with filling out FAFSA. Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or something like that. It’s how you get government student loans, which pretty much everybody gets. There are different programs. Meet with a financial aid counselor/adviser type person at your (future?) school. They’ll be able to help you out.

Start with FAFSA. Government money is damn near free. There’s subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized means you don’t pay interest while in school, but unsubsidized means you do, even though there are no monthly payments.

After you fill out the FAFSA form you can look for 3rd party loans. I got one from Citibank (www.studentloan.com) once. But get as much as you can from the government first because the interest rate will be much lower. It might even cover everything you need.

I would imagine the school should have a finacial aid department you could discuss this with

ya…you gotta do the FAFSA first no matter what or you wont get anything! I actually got my loan from the mandt bank website…it was quite easy actually…good luck!!

join the military (air force) like i did…you wont have any student loans and you get paid to go to school too

educationone.com but its interest up the wahzoo!

Actually, I’d do an ROTC program such as the one at the University of Rochester. Free GREAT education. :slight_smile:

DONT DO IT MAN, school loans are the suck!!! esp when the repayment period kicks in…and you dont have job yet, but bills…

bikerFry has good info though :wink:

And what do you suggest I do?

not attend school

duh

go to school, it was a joke :wink:

Just lie that you went to college,lie that you have experience also and I almost forgot…fake refrences are a must.

Self teach yourself for whatever profession you want to enter.Employers lie to employees all the time,its not a big deal.

Definitly fill out a fafsa form www.fafsa.ed.gov then if you need more money go to www.teri.org for a private loan. I have found that this has been the best way for me.

My aunt is a representative for a college loan company.
www.collegeloan.com

If you need her contact info you can PM me.

blah. YOu can always file for economic hardship or unemployment deferrment. No payment or interest accure during the deferrment period.

yeah, but that period only lasts so long…enter January :cry:

Bob, start by filing the FAFSA, that will basically tell you how much you are eligable for in federally guaranteed loans. They have the best rates of any loan you will ever find.

Then if you need more, you’ll want to look into your options with a private lending institution. Sallie Mae is an option (/shameless company plug). But I also have a loan thru Keybank. There is also Citibanks education loans.

If you’re totally lost, go to the schools financial aid department. That is what those people are paid to do. And shop for your best rates for your private loan. Since it takes so long to pay off student loans usually, it’s really important to get the lowest interest possible.