How much profit should you let a dealer make

it seems like GM is just letting Cav’s go for about 8g’s

about 7g’s too much

7999 to much

:rofl:

if they sold it, they made money

Well to conclude this story in case anyone cares and a small glimpse into car sales shenannigans.

Well I put in on edmunds.com on friday looking for quotes on civics in the area. The same salesman I dealt with before calls 15 minutes later. He says I got your email what do you want, I said I was looking for quotes from edmunds.com he said well we are still at 12,525 and I said in a nice way that I already told you to take 12,525 and shove it.

So this morning while I’m a work my cell phone rings and it is the salesman he said he would sell it for 12,300 which is what I told him I would pay but only for today. I told him that if I wanted it I would be over.

So I go over there and find the salesman, fill out a credit application and stuff. He takes the application to the finance guy, then he comes back and says that someone just put in a credit application on the same car but possibly has questionable credit so he might not get it. So we wait and wait and wait and wait. Then he says that they are going to lie to the other guy and tell him that he can only be approved for an 05 and sell him the 05 on the lot and sell me the 04 knowing that I would not buy an 05, then the waiting starts for this scheme to unfold. Finally he comes back and says that honda will only approve the guy for the 04 and he can’t get the 05 so that guy is going to buy the 04 that I wanted.

My analysis of the situation is that once they had two people on the same car they used their car salesman judgement to determine that the other guy was more likely to buy an 05 so they probably told him that he couldn’t be approved for an 04 and that they could get him an 05 or he actually didn’t get approved for the 05 and was only approved for the 04. I think they told him that he had to get the 05 and said no and since I was probably paying less they sold him my 04.

Car salesmen are pretty shady.