How much profit should you let a dealer make

I went car shopping tonite for a civic, yeah I know its a civic but I have other vehicles and I am sick of putting gas in my pickup.

anyways it breaks down like this

12777.60 invoice

750 factory to dealer

417 holdback

50 being generous for what they have invested in dealer installed junk I don’t want

so they got 11,660 in the vehicle

they want 12,525 for it and I think that is too much.

So the question is, how much would you guys let a car dealer make off of you.

Depends on car, but I’ve paid anywhere from under invoice to around $400 over on $20-$30K type of cars.

Some Honda dealers have the “it’s a Honda” attitude (Dean Honda), in which case tell them to suck it. Bought two Hondas at Smail in Greensburg - good to deal with.

Is the $750 a factory rebate that goes to you? If so, I’d say around $12200 or $12300 is fair, but I’m sure you could do the back and forth game between dealers.

750 is factory to dealer incentive.

they have 11,660 in the car after the incentive and holdback

they want to sell it for 12,525 which is lower than the 12,777 invoice but they are keeping the incentive and holdback.

I never usually count holdback, just invoice + as little as possible. Hope it works out for ya!

I love buying cars. Bought 2 for m-in-law, several of my own, 3 for my parents, helped a few people at work. Even hooked up with the gf/wife when she was buying her first car!

invoice + 3%

this is typically the discount you would receive if you had a benefit through who you worked for.

i,e, GM’s Supplier
Ford’s X-plan
Chrysler’s Fleet Discount, etc etc

yeah, you killed the jeep dealer for that cobra

Yep. Really depends on what car and the situation. All my own have been GMs that weren’t in high demand. Last Grand Prix was supposed to be a dealer trade from Ohio but one came in on a truck and they knocked a few hundred more off, so I took it even though it was black.

I assume you don’t have a trade-in which makes it easier. Get their best price then get a few other dealers involved. Guy at work had dealers giving quotes over the phone on his CRV. Is it worth hours of your time for $50? Some people would say yes! :dunno:

Well I wanted him down to 12,300 at the most which is still more than i really thought it should be. I don’t know, I guess when it comes down to it I fought for an hour over 4 bucks a month or a dollar a week.

I’m a salesmen… so naturally I’m a prick when it comes to buying something

I think they made a profit of like $200 on me, if that heh

fuck em… walk out, make sure they have your number though. They’ll be calling.

He’s not kidding! It’s like an addition. If he doesn’t get involved in a car buying negotiation every 6 months or so, he gets cranky.

:rofl: @ Blose buying a Honda

:greddy: yeah, when did Hondas become like benz’s, fuck honda

Well since my car was 14,*** something list and I got it for 7 I think that was alittle effed up. But I would never buy a new honda thats pointless. Only thing that have thats good for money and power is a RSX Type S.

Thats my .02

Fuck the dealer, it isn’t about them it’s about me. I could care less if the dealer makes 10 cents on a deal as long as I get the car I want for the price I want. It usually takes 1 year for me to buy a car after I start looking. I yell, scream, and leave numerous dealers all to get the best deal. It’s funny how much a dealer will cave in when you raise your voice with other people around.

my sister just got a 04 cavy for 8 grand and the sticker was 16 and some change…gm employes cant negotiate a price…its either take it or leave it

When i worked at West Hills Nissan, i got some DL info on what they REALLY pay… Invoice is not what the dealership PAYS the factory for the cars…its just what people think. I’ll never buy a brand new car after i found out what they really pay.

i never belived invoice is what they really paid for the cars

werd. I laugh at the people that buy their cars “below facroty invoice” and automatically think that they got such a good deal that the dealer actually lost money on the deal. :rofl:

They would NEVER sell the car for a loss. It would be more benificial to them to burn them in a big bonfire out back and write them off on their taxes as discarded inventory.

x eleventy billiyon :lol: