Dealership RANT!

Well I found the exact car I wanted at a dealer in syracuse, blk/blk 03 max SE with heated seats and leather with 20K on the odo. Did my usual thing, KBB on my truck for good condition for a trade in is 10K. KBB for the max on a trade in excellent condition is $14,400, so the dealer probably paid maximum 15 at a auction if that. SO I go in saying ill pay the difference between the 2 cars plus 3 grand because I realize the dealer must make a nice profit to let the car go. Basically I was trading in my truck and supplementing it with 8 grand out of my pocket, which I though was reasonable. Boy was I wrong with these guys!

They said my truck was only worth about 8 grand, and they would not move on the car because it was “premium”. They said my truck was worth so much less because I removed the EDGE stickers on it and the step bars that it comes with, so it was no longer a EDGE. Thats when I knew they were retarded and trying to f me.

Make the story short, Sam Dell Nissan can go f themselves!

yeah. In my personal experiance with dealships… they are professional scan artists.

granted they need to make a buck too, but sometimes they cross the line. I’ve had many bad experiances with 'em myself. Even if you know someone, its still like pulling teeth

:tup: for doing that little bit of research… thats all it takes sometimes to see where the shit lies in the buckwheat.

and then you get the dealers that just suck at life.

when my GF bought her Scion the saleswomen didnt even try to sell it. we went for a test drive and this women sat int he back seat and didnt say a word…I found myself trying to make small talk with her because it was so awkward…finally my GF (being herself) says “is this a 5 speed?” and the sales women says “no”…it was a five speed…

gawd…idiot…

-Cheater-

shit in buckwheat sucks…interesting ur edge stickers are worth 2 grand, id like to put those stickers on my car before i sell it

:lol: how do u mess that up? or was it a 5sp auto??
salesmen are silly bastards

:tdown: to car dealers

i :heart: stealerships

My fiance’s front brakes siezed after the first winter she had the car (she bought it new.) They replaced the disks and pads under warranty since it was obviously a defect in parts/manufacturing, not normal wear and tear.

After her second winter the rears siezed and chewed up the disks. I remember pointing out to the dealerships service manager in the middle of winter the back pads were starting to wear unevenly. He said it would be fine. By spring they were shot and they wouldn’t cover it under warranty because brakes are normal wear and tear. I argued on the phone with a rep at Mazda Northeast and the convo went something like:

Me: “The car is only 2 years old. This should be covered under warranty.”
Him: “Brakes are normal wear and tear. Only covered for 12 months.”
Me: “They didn’t fail due to wearing out. It should be covered under warranty.”
Him: “They wore out due to neglected maintenance. They should be cleaned periodically.”
Me: “I thought you said it’s not under warranty because of normal wear and tear, not failure due to neglected maintenance?”
Him: “Uhhh…”
Me: “For neglected maintenance to void a warranty, that maintenance has to be spelled out in the owner’s manual. Where in the owner’s manual does it describe periodic brake cleaning? What is the recommended service interval?”
Him: “Well it’s not the manual. It’s just that Buffalo has such extreme winters, and there’s something in the manual about environmental influences.”
Me: “Oh. Winters in Buffalo are always snowy and salty. I guess driving a Protege in Buffalo in the winter voids the warranty. Well then what car do you recommend for a Buffalo winter, since a Protege can’t take it?”
Him: “You can drive a Protege in the winter.”
Me: “But it voids the warranty unless you perform regular maintenace that Mazda does not formally recommend?”

I just kept talking him around in circles from “It’s normal wear and tear so not covered” to “It’s neglected maintenance so it’s not covered” to “There’s no formal maintenance recommendation, they are listed as a normal wear and tear item” changing his excuse every time I shot it down.

From a technical standpoint, yeah the car should be cleaned and the wheels/undercarriage hosed down like once a week in the winter, but from a business standpoint that should be spelled out in the owner’s manual if they’re not going to cover a failed part due to exposure to salt and whatnot.

The service manager at the stealership was a real prick abuot the whole thing. I’m especially pissed that they didn’t clean the brakes when I first pointed it out to them, but instead let it go until they got to sell us new brakes/pads/service.

:tdown: Towne Mazda

[/rant]

On the other hand, I bought my Jetta used at Jerry Gradl Motors (Millersport/North French) and I brought it there once when my rear brakes were making noise in the winter so they got me in in about an hour, gave me a ride back to work, and cleaned/lubed my brakes even though they didn’t see anything wrong with them. I brought it there with a broken tensioner pulley later on and again, gave me a ride back to work, went to the VW dealership for a new pulley, and had my car ready by 5. Gave me a good deal initially too. ($10k for a 2001 Jetta VR6, stick, leather, heated seats, Monsoon, 57k, new brakes & tires, mint.)

:tup: Jerry Gradl Motors

need some edge decals made up? sounds like there worth some money. :slight_smile:

All dealerships need to make money. how else can they afford to sponsor football stadiums, have free coffee and offer free taxi service in their multi million dollar showrooms. not much ya can do about it. unless you support your local grease monkey mechanics.

I have delt with dealers in the past and know the routine because I used to be a salesman at Don Davis not too long ago. Basically I dont even need a salesman, I know what I want to pay and I know more about the car than the salesman. All I need to do is talk to the manager about price because the salesman have no part in the price of the car whatsoever. I think im going to just stop fing around and just sell the truck privately.

:word: usually what i do when i go to a dealer is ask to talk directly with the sales manager because i hate going through the bs with the salesman. from my experience, it has turned out to be quite successful to talk directly with the manager to work out a deal.

sadly, it was not auto

-Cheater-

Word… or I could talk to pops or bottoms about maybe taking it to the auction. You should def. get more than 10k for it privately.

you really should have told the guy off before you left

It sounds like you threw all the cards up on the table too quickly when you talked to the dealer. :gotme:

X…

Why even bother with a dealer at all?

You can T-bone me anytime buddy, the offer still stands!

Now I don’t remember the exact details… but here’s my story.

My pops was driving around and came across a truck he really liked at Walden. They gave it to him to test drive for the day. It was almost fully loaded. He went back and said, “well, i dunno.” They told him to keep it the night. The next day I stop over and check it out. I ask him what they want for it. It was like 20K or something. We then proceed to jump in the truck and cruise over to Northtown. We show the sales guy, tell him what Walden is offering and tell him we want the same truck or better.

Advantage Us!!

The salesmans hands are tied. He can’t bs right from the get-go. If he wants the sale, he has to steal the show. So he does. We end up getting almost the same truck except with every option for roughly 2K cheaper. At that point we could of drove back to Walden and told them what we found at Transitown. I’m sure they would of played ball and chopped the price somemore. We just stayed at Northtown, because the salesman was a nicer guy.

While this may work at some dealerships, it would be hard to get it to work on a used car. But hey, it worked for us!!

dont worry spence, ive got a guy looking for what u want at my place, ill keep u posted.

that sucks. so did you poop on this dealer???