used cars dealers are idiots

so the other day i was doin a road test for work and i was drivin down transit and there was a honda s2000 out in front of basil resale for everyone to see. So after work i went to check it out and talk to the guy about it, 35xxx miles, bodykit, silver, “clean” title, $18900, sounds pretty good. He let me take it for a drive on my own, as soon as i get into it theres problems. The center piece for the steering wheel where the air bag sits the enamel is peeled at the top of it, the side panel for the steering whell is missing, and the srs light is on. i ask him about it and he said that he just got the car and it was like that. so i went for a ride as soon as i am goin straight with the car the steering wheel is cocked to the right(steering rack was way off). so a take it out for about 20mins and come back and question him about the steering rack and the title. I looked the car over in the light more aswell the tires were bald, the frontm bumper had cracks in the paint, it was missing lug nuts on both front rims. supposivly had no clue about the steering issue even though he pulled the car out of the back for me. Then the truth comes out about the title when he looked it up on carfax. Car was totaled and towed away in oct 06 in penn. I left him think that maybe if he takes care of the issues i might b interested just so maybe the next guy does not see all of the bs with the car. they’ll probably just move the steering wheel to line up with the rest of the rack so they wont have to replace anything. I just thought that it was pretty stupid for the dealership to broadcast the car like that when there was so many issues with it

$19k is high for an S2k. The market took a shit over the past 6 months. It may be rebounding a bit for the summer, but you better find a FUCKING MINT car (or an 04+ and low miles) for that kinda money.

Some of those dealers would try to sell their own mothers.

My buddy and I went to a dealer to look at this '87-89 IROC (this was like 8-9yrs ago) It was a smooth lookin car. Everything was real nice n neat. Im pretty versed in cars at that point so, Im lookin all the mechanicals over. Now, out comes the salesman…ughh, well, he asks whos lookin to buy, my buddy waves and the guy starts dry humpin.
Well, everything my freind looks at the guy has something perfect to say. ex. tires “those are new tires, we put them on when we got the car here” I said, "someone must of done a hell of a burnout, this one is pretty bald. Tells me, “oh, I think that not all 4 came in yet” …or some stupid response. Next and last comment…
My buddy says, “yeah, I like how torquey these tuned port engines are.” I look at the “specs” label on the rad. support. The guy is talkin it up saying how his friend has a car like this and is the fastest around. (the guy is rediculious) So, I read that its only a 305 RIGHT when the guy says that this engine is the exact saame thing thats in the corvette’s. I said, “this is only a 305” He briefly responds with, “no, this is a 350, take it for a drive you’ll KNOW its a 350, then we can talk about price” :rolleyes: I said, “umm, no the label shows that is a 305” His response after a few humdred “umms” “I meant, this engine IS out of a 'vette, thats just the ~stock~ label.”
Last time I ever went to a dealer…unbelievable what they’ll tell u to sell u the car.
My roll now is only to be the voice of reason, and tech support…lol for friends/family…I dislike almost all dealers Ive ever delt with only a few have been decent. I understand that THATS how they make money but…cmon.

yea the guy that owns basil USED cars is very shifty, and that doesn’t suprise me at all. i’ve heard lots of stories about them.
Sucks to be the uneducated buyer for that car… When buying used… always get a carfax.

After dealing with a shady dealer when my mom was buying a car, I wanted to come back at night and torch the place. The first car they brought out had nasty orange peel everywhere, an obvious complete repaint. The side molding had some kind of glue oozing out from under it, and I could see the bondo cracking on the same door. $5k for this heap. The windshield trim was missing. The cheap AM corner light was full of water, and there was a nasty clunk coming from one wheel, so all signs pointed to a good accident in the right front that was repaired poorly. When I asked, the owner said “we don’t know the history of the car”. Bull shit! They know if a car has been wrecked, and they have carfax. Sure enough, carfax showed 2 accidents in the past 4 years. She was so anxious to get a car that she would have bought it if I hadn’t told her to run from it. I could tell the hatred between me and that car salesman was mutual. Against my wishes, she bought another car from them, that hadn’t been wrecked. Turns out they must have bought it and put a transmission in, because the car had several issues related to it in the first 2 weeks, and getting them to do the work was a hassle. Once the car was bought, they treated us like shit. Oh yeah, P&R auto sales in Akron, stay far away.:banghead:

:lol: at anyone looking at Basil after the Basil thread.

This should be linked in, another great example of Basil’s commitment to quality.

Try dealing with these folks (or some F word) daily for work. Yeah me LOL

south transit chrysler / jeep (or what ever its called now) is also a shitty place to go

the salesman had the balls to tell me the one mazda on the lot had never been wrecked … AFTER i pointed out the fack that most of the 1/4 panel was bondo, and that there was overspray all over the place

“carfax came back clean” blah blah blah …

turns out it was one of the emplyees daughters car or some shit like that. of course carfax was clean, South Transit did the repairs cash and carry style and the car only made it to the front of the lot after it was fixed

i mean fuck, i could still smell the paint !

I’m a salesman at Town Huyndai/Auto choice. I tell it the way that it is to the best of my nowledge. If i tell them the truth they will at least have some honesty in me and i would point them towards a better car. Not to mention we will offer a free carfax report on ANY Car. What else is nice about our dealership is everyone makes the same commision off of every used car so we dont have to sell a car for $5000 over the traded in value and have the typical salesman mentality. And yes i worked for basil they are a very shady company, the used lot owned near regal on transit is also owned by the same Basil (Jon) as the used one sheridan. A funny story is that my cousin bought a fox body gt back in 95 from the basil on sheridan, got pulled over a week later and was arrested for driving a stolen car from basil on transit and wherle. LMAO he fought it of coarse and got it dropped and got a refund but never seen the car again.

1. buy car from individual

2. finance through a credit union, if financing is necessary

/thread

fuck used dealers. i don’t think i’ve ever found a car i’d be happy with from any of them for their asking prices

:word:

Used car salesmen are rarely car enthusiasts, so about 98% of the time they dont know squat about any of the cars or cars in general.

:word: Car salesmen are salesmen, not car guys. It doesn’t matter to them if it’s cars or fruit, they just sell. There are a lot of shady ones, but I’m sure there are decent ones as well. I had a good experience buying my Jetta from Jerry Gradl Motors. :gotme: Good car, good price, not too much BS’ing, was more than happy to replace the broken idler pulley I came back with 2 weeks later.

:word: I bought my 96 grand prix from them. Guy was cool, if I remember correctly, he was a car guy.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25569&highlight=basil

I used to work at Basil resale. Shady at best.

Just sayin.

Honestly, like take a look at even autotrader.

Look at any late model import on autotrader.

About 60 percent of the cars on there have salvage titles, or “clean” titles with major body work done.

This is my experience from looking at desireable cars, hondas, toyotas, scions, etc.

If your buying a used car, and its new enough to get the warranty, make sure its a certified car with the certified used warranty and the inspection.

Or buy from a individual and get them to transfer the new warranty.

This is a way to weed out alot of the junk titled cars.

If your looking at a 06-07 car and the seller says you can’t get the balance of the warranty, thats a red flag.

Furthermore, even if the carfax comes back clean, it could have still been wrecked.

Alot of wrecks never get reported to carfax, if the insurance company doesn’t payoff, or if the police weren’t involved.

Even places like 2060 on william will sell you a wreck with a clean title, that you can fix and sell with a clean title. Something to do with moving the car into certain states who don’t keep track of salvage titles, and then moving it here, it will have a clean title.

ha.

:tup: to Jerry and Lenny at gradl’s I have dealt with them professionally and i feel they are stand up dudes

pat leary sucks too.