My experience with the Basil "Family" of Dealerships

As many of you know I’ve closed my business and taken on new employment, hence the need for a “smaller” vehicle and no more need for the monster diesel I owned. I have been searching for the better part of 3-4 weeks for something that fit the bill. While I wasn’t too happy with my experience with the Ford product (with my diesel engine letting me down after 112,000 miles) I started to investigate some other brands. No offense to the bowtie guys but there was nothing Chevy offered that really caught my eye. I was really impressed with some of the more recent offerings from Dodge and heard good reviews about the performance of the Hemi engines. I drove quite a few Dodge’s (thanks to Thunderbunny for your help) and finally narrowed down my budget (since I hadn’t really worked since November of 2013) my options became more limited. I’ll try to get to the point here.

About two weeks ago a Dodge popped in my internet search at Basil South (what I believe used to be the old Jim Doyle Ford) on Abbott near Ridge Road. I emailed their staff but no one got back to me and I figured they were busy. Since they were on my way home from my new job, I decided to stop by. I met Mike (the salesman) and asked about the Dodge 1500 that I didn’t see anywhere and he informed me that unfortunately it was sold the day before. It was a nice truck so I wasn’t surprised.

We decided to sit down at the computer and go through the inventory to see what WAS available. There was an 09 Dodge that fir the profile, but it was at another Basil location and unfortunately it was also sold when we called them. He had one more and offered to have it transferred over the following day. The next morning he called me with some bad news. Someone made a deal on that one the night before and it was also sold. I did ask Mike to investigate another truck I saw on the internet that morning. It was an 06 Ford F150 FX4 listed at the Basil Transit location. I really wasn’t interested in Fords anymore but it looked clean, and again, fit the profile of my needs.

So that evening (sometime last week) I stopped out after work and we took it for a ride. First impressions was that it was a pretty clean truck and rode pretty well. After we went back inside I told Mike that I was interested in what I saw and we just needed to work out the details of my trade in value, as what I was being told from numerous other dealers was a very wide range. After the typical offers made back and forth, we agreed on a number and I had some simple requests as part of the deal. Since it was dark out, and it was a black truck, I wanted to be able to go over it again, and take it to my mechanic to put it up on the lift and have the mechanicals checked out. What I noticed that night was this. I brought this to Mike’s attention and it was to be taken care of, no big deal.

The bulb at the console shifter was out.
The window vent shade on the drivers side was cracked in half.
There was a deep scratch in the tailgate near the handle. It was through the clearcoat, and I think the paint. It looked like someone tried to buff it out and clouded the paint around it.

Mike was pleasant, helpful, and understanding (as was the owner of the dealership who I met that night) and I felt like I was finally at a place where the typical “car salesman / dealership” mentality and profile was not the norm. I set up an appointment to take the truck Friday afternoon to Saturday to bring to my mechanic. I was working the home show Saturday and Sunday and it was the only time available for me to get this done. Here is the email I sent to Mike on Thursday of last week.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you (and the owner, I forget him name I’m
sorry) for helping me out with this deal. I know you had little to work with as
far as my trade was concerned and I was pleased to work with you on this. I’ve
had a lot of visits to local dealerships and met with a lot of people over these
last few weeks but your group was by far the best to work with and I didn’t feel
like I had to be irritably on guard with our conversations. I’m generally a
pretty honest guy (when I’m not lying) and like to be straight with people and
appreciate it when they’re straight with me. I would be comfortable with
recommending your dealership to others and hope that the remainder of our
transaction goes smoothly and without incident.

I set up an appointment with my mechanic for Saturday late morning and I’ll plan
on dropping off my truck Friday evening and returning the other one Saturday mid
day. I will keep you posted on my efforts to get my truck ready to drop off to
you next week. Again, thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

PS-IF you could note on the work order not to put any dealership vinyl on the
paint, license plate frames are OK. Thanks.

This is the email I sent to him before he came back to work on Monday.

Hey Mike. I’m sure this email finds you passed out in your tuxedo in a bathtub
somewhere. Hope you had a good time at the wedding this weekend and you had
ample time to recover. I dropped the truck back of Saturday evening after my
mechanic gave it a thorough once over. Here’s where we’re at:

1. Overall the truck is in good condition and no signs of serious problems. It
    did have a snow plow on it at one time but I’m not overly concerned about that.
    We think there was some touch up paintwork here and there but no issues.
  2. There are some minor issues (mechanical, interior, and cosmetic), nothing
    major, that I’ll list below.

Mechanical:

1. The parking (emergency) brakes are non-functional.
  2. The rear rotors are shot. New pads were installed on all wheels but the inner
    surface of the rear rotors are barely contacting the pad and it creates a shake
    when braking down from higher speeds. I think they should’ve just been replaced
    when the pads went on.
  3. The right front wheel bearing is not in horrible condition but it is on it’s
    way out.
  4. The transmission cooler lines up near the radiator have been “repaired” but
    it appears that the damaged portions were just cut and replaced with rubber hose
    and clamps. Not the best solution and one of the clamps is leaking. Not a huge
    deal but I think it should be done right.

Interior:

1. Would like to have the internal light bulb that out replaced at the shifter
    handle.
  2. Wondering if you guys have floor mats that came with the truck. I just want
    to be able to put something down until I order the weathertech molded mats.

Exterior:

1. I know I mentioned the paint scratch on the tailgate. I’m not sure how the
    body shop was planning on taking care of that but there’s a little “crease” near
    the lower center left of the tailgate. Maybe the body shop can bondo and level
    that while they’re doing the scratch.
  2. There’s 2-3 dimples in the rear bumper but I don’t see any way to rectify
    that and I won’t worry about them.

Misc.:

1. Wondering if there’s an extra remote for the door locks and also wondering if
    we can figure out the car starter on the remote. I’ve had no luck.
  2. Would need the code for the driver’s door keypad so I can re-program it to my
    liking.
  3. The driver’s vent shade is broken but just leave it be. I’ll take care of it
    in the Spring.

Again, not really too many issues. I have an appointment to have the plow wiring
/ mount removed Tuesday evening and it looks like I’ll be on track for Thursday
evening for the switch over. I have the original title with the letter from Ford
Credit (the original financier when I bought it) stating their interest in the
vehicle has been satisfied. As I mentioned previously, I’m planning on
transferring the current plates / registration to the new truck. Please let me
know what you need to take care of that. Please give me a call to let me know
you received this and that we’re on track for Thursday. I have to work the Home
Show all next weekend so Thursday is the best / only day to do this. Thanks
again.

I got a call from Mike (on Monday IIRC) basically stating that he had a good weekend at the wedding and he got my email about the truck. “There’s a little problem” I believe he said. We can’t put this kind of money into the truck. I talked to my service manager and we’re talking about $ 1,800 to take care of the things on your list. I told him “well, I understand that to a point, everyone’s got to make money and your business is no different. Tell you what. I’ll take care of the rear rotors and the front wheel bearing. You guys take care of the tranny cooler lines and the stuff mentioned on the list from the first night I looked at it (tailgate, light bulb) and I’ll worry about the vent shade on the driver’s door. That sounds like a reasonable compromise.” Mike told me he would talk to his service manager and he would get back to me. OK.

About 10-15 minutes later, the service manager calls me directly and tells me “look, I spoke to Mike and I’ll agree to your idea about the repairs. As far as the tailgate is concerned, you can’t fix the crease in the tailgate because it’s something that would need to be filled, leveled, and painted”. I told him “well how hard could it be when you’re going to be painting the scratch in the tailgate anyway.” His response was “wait a minute. I’m not painting the tailgate. It would cost me $300 to paint it and we simply don’t have the money to put into that with the great deal we gave you on your trade in. We’re just going to hit it with some touch up paint”. At this point, I really got a little pissed off. I told him “touch up paint! shit, I could do that myself! I made some reasonable concessions on issue with the vehicle and you’re telling me you’re going to put a bandaid on the problem and that’s it?” He told me “well we got this truck from another location and really didn’t have a chance to go through it. Are you going to come in tomorrow to sign all the paperwork?” I told him “No, I told Mike that the earliest I could come back was Thursday to complete the paperwork as I had commitments with getting my truck ready to turn in.” His response was “well I don’t want to go sinking all the money into this truck if you’re going to back out on the deal”. I told him "look, I want the truck and I’ve gone too far to go back now. Just do what we discussed and I’ll see you Thursday.

I decided to call David Basil since they are a site sponsor and I remember seeing numerous posts from him over the years. I got his cell number he posted on one of his original threads and left him a message detailing my issue. He told me that he would try to talk to the owner and see what he could do and he’d call me back today. That was the last I heard from him.

I’m sorry this is a long post (if you’ve bothered to read it this far) but I want to make sure I don’t leave anything out so this can be misconstrued at a later date. I picked up the truck tonight and as I suspected, the scratch was covered over in touch up paint. As a new employee in my company they make it clear that the customer and their satisfaction are key to what we do for them. While we need to set boundaries on how far we can go to please a customer, it’s the little details we pay attention to and take care of that make them pleased with the relationship they have with us.

I went to numerous dealerships, with mostly poor results and experiences. My mother purchased her Saturn a few years ago from Basil in Depew and she had a pleasant purchase, and service since. My feelings of satisfaction, relief, and security went immediately south once I spoke to them this week and went from a feeling of “I lucked out with a solid group of guys and feel good about this” to " I wonder where else they cut corners to get this truck sold".

Take from this what you want, tell me I’m being ridiculous, or agree with me. Others have posted their good experiences with Basil (this particular location as a matter of fact) and I think all reviews should be posted, not just the sparkly ones.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/arrowenterprises/IMG_20140313_191108276_HDR_zpsjedxyjv4.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/arrowenterprises/IMG_20140313_191124137_zpsdgnh7jlk.jpg

While I would be sort of bummed, it is very difficult to want a “Brand new” vehicle when buying used.

So my response would be along the lines of, when you buy used, you have to expect a couple of dings/scrapes/carpet stains etc.

The only time I have really complained at a dealership is when I put a deposit on a truck at Capellinos and when I came back to pick it up the rear bumper was smashed in and I said…woah that wasnt there yesterday. And they tried to tell me it was and that I didnt notice. I ripped up my check in front of the sales guy, got my deposit back and left.

Looks like a nice truck, and if you really hate it you can trade me for my fx35 :slight_smile:

No offense, but you are looking at an 8-model-year-old truck. It’s not going to be perfect by any means. You want a perfect body, buy a 1 or 2 year old truck. The truck has almost 80,000 miles on it, and you want the dealer to make it like brand new. I don’t see how the dealer is in the wrong here.

http://www.basilcars.com/index.php/used-inventory-cars-suvs-vans-trucks/T6930/2006/Ford/F-150

What is the point of 25 photos if NONE none of them show the damage? I never understood this.

You looked at a used truck and got a used truck. Want new, buy new. I think they did enough replacing the shotty tranny lines.

:word:

Missing the point here. We’ll take care of your issues. Then it becomes “well not enough money to do what we said we would”. I held up my end of the deal. Just do it right. Not about the age of the truck. Pic is in the post.

Here’s the damage:

Can’t see it? That’s because you have to be 3 feet from the truck.

Nice looking truck. Looks better than a lot of the same model year F-150s that come through my dealership.

Always have good service at basil for my wife’s truck, but never have made any purchases there.
We always buy from West Herr and never once felt left out in the dark. We deal with the same person every time, my dad has known him for 30+ yrs. There are definitely some “unpleasant” dealers out there.

Like others said it’s used, but they should have been straight up all the way through handing the keys over.

Mine was more of a general statement about used car sales. What is the point of useless pictures? I guess there may be someone in the USA who doesn’t know what a black F150 looks like. LoL what good can come from someone showing up just to find problems that could have EASILY been revealed in an ad?

I’ve had dealings with just about every dealership in the area.
Basil is one of the few I’m still willing to give my business to.

While it is an 8 year old truck with miles, I agree that if there are things told you to you up-front, they should be honored…regardless of who the dealership is…

Overpromise and under delivery is a terrible business practice but so is the structure of car sales in general…by that I mean you have a sales person with zero authority to make a decision promising things to try and make a deal and then they have no real ability to make sure things get done because they have a sales manager who is essentially in charge of ALL decisions regarding the deal which nullifies any promises the sales person has made in the first place.

Except the deal changed when the OP asked the dealer to make additional repairs. The dealer countered by not wanting to give up the 300 to repair the tailgate. Sales people who can’t authorize shit never mind major gross eating shop bills will promise you the moon and the stars to close a deal. Get it in writing. Do final inspection before you sign. Walk if you are not happy.

I was not expecting a “new” vehicle.

It is not perfect, and I don’t expect it to be.

See above.

This is my point.

If this is truly the case, give the salesperson no authority to speak the words “yes” and “no”. I have no problem with that, simply give me a straight honest answer and then follow through.

It is the dealer who wants (wanted) me to work out a deal that evening. How many times do you go to a dealership and it inevitably comes out “So, what do I have to do to earn your business today.” How many here would make that sort of investment without having it checked out? My issue with the paint is that it was addressed in a “barn job” fashion. The fact that the brake pads were installed on rotors that were obviously failed further verifies that attitude. Not to mention it was put out on the lot to be test driven with 25% of the brake capacity decreased. When I worked for customer’s, I did what the job required, and more than once at a financial loss. It’s about doing it right. I didn’t twist them with the everything I found to be an issue. I agreed to handle some of it on my own, compromising to work with them.

This also speaks to Mr. Basil, who posts on here asking members like yourselves, to come to his business and buy his product. When someone on here drops the ball do they not catch hell for it? If it would’ve been handled correctly, do you think I would not have raved about my experience and referred anyone looking for a vehicle to their business? How am I supposed to watch my mother take her car in for service and wonder what corner will be cut when they’re working on her car?

Then why did you still take delivery of the vehicle if you were/are unhappy with the vehicle?

I already went through all the hoops (stripped my truck, removed everything for trade in, managed to get what financing I needed in place, etc., etc.). Then what, start all over again and spend more time and effort looking for another vehicle? I liked the truck and it fit my needs. Just wanted someone to step up. Guess I was expecting too much.

'Merica

My experience with Basil was fantastic with my salesman and Dave. The day I looked at the truck Dave and the salesman sat down with me for over an hour talking about price and trade-in for my grand cherokee. My trade-in was fair but I wanted a little better on the price. I sat on it for the night and called back the next day with a counter offer for the truck. We split the difference and they got me great financing.

Now the service department was terrible. The day after I picked up the truck I found it had a huge vibration at speeds over 70 and the check engine light came on with a code for the maf. I called the service manager and left a message. No one called me back. I called my salesman and miraculously the service manager called me right away. I took the truck in and he looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about. When I went to pick it up of course they couldn’t find anything wrong. They cleared the code and sent me on my way. On the way home the light came on again and it still had the vibration. Took it back again and of course I was still wrong. I took matters into my own hands and found the tires were out of balance and I cleaned the throttle body and the maf. Light hasn’t been on since and no more vibration. For two simple problems it cost me time without a vehicle and $40 to have the tires balanced and a hour of my time to clean the maf/throttle body.

Dont get me wrong Basil customer service is top notice. Its just the service department that I had issues with. I would buy from them again but I will never have my vehicle serviced by them unless my aftermarket warranty makes me. Then again the warranty company will probably deny any claim I put in. It will probably be something stupid like I don’t have oem tires on it so the warranty is void.