How Not To Turbo Your Car...

http://www.discountchips.net/2kss/videos/turbolt1final.mpg

You know, it actually looks like a clean install, just a very bad idea. It looks like they had the skill to execute a proper turbo install. But hey, it sounds fuckin’ awesome (maybe cuz the turbo is a few inches from the exhaut tip).

-TJ

what the fuck is that all about?

Originally posted by rusty240det
what the fuck is that all about?

So I’ve been doin’ a bit more research into the car. And supposedly the manufacturer is going to market the kit around $3k (LT1/LS1 kits out there are all twice that, and up) and it’s putting down nice numbers. I just don’t see how it doesn’t have TONS of lag. You go WOT and first you have to build up pressure in the exhaust to spool up, then you have to build pressure in foot after foot of intake plumbing before you see any boost. You also loose all the benefit of still expanding exhaust gasses which you get by having the turbo close to the exhaust ports.

But they’re claiming they use a way different sized, and designed turbine housing and wheel then they would for a standard LT1 turbo app. Basically they’re saying the exhaust is about 500* cooler, and therefore denser and can still make impressive boost. :shrug:

I mean, I’m sure it works to some degree… but why not just do it right?

-TJ

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

There’s the company’s site. You know, it almost sounds like a legit idea. :eek:

-TJ

I didn’t understand this statement from their site:

“No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.”

he blew right through those stop signs:mad:

Originally posted by BlackZ28
he blew right through those stop signs:mad:

I gotz deez turboss that ssss! WoooooooWoooooooo - bubb rubb

Originally posted by Shaggy
I gotz deez turboss that ssss! WoooooooWoooooooo - bubb rubb

dats only in da mornin, you pose to be cookin brekfas Woo Woo

with a longer intake tube like that you could probably do something interesting with cooling that as well…

Still though there might be more lag but it sounds feasible…

I couldnt really tell if he was @ WOT any of the times…

If he was :greddy:

Ease of installation. Our turbocharger systems can be installed in 4-6 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.

No need for major modifications to your vehicle to fit the turbocharger system. Our systems are designed to bolt on using factory mounts.

Lower underhood temperatures and no need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other components.

More room under the hood than stock vehicles so that future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to any of the engine components.

Cooler oil to the turbocharger and cooler oil being pumped back to your engine as well as increased oil capacity.

Approximately 500F lower turbocharger temperatures which eliminates the need for a turbo-timer to allow engine to run after car is shut off to cool down turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage that occur when engine is shut off while turbo is still extremely hot.

Denser exhaust gasses to drive the turbocharger turbine wheel more efficiently.

Good intercooler efficiency without the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler.

Turbocharger is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air which allows for better cooling of turbocharger components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.

Turbocharger is closer to the tail pipe outlet which provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Easily converts back to stock in less than 2 hours.

Better weight transfer for increased traction with bulk of system mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.

Less noise in the passenger compartment.

Quieter wastegates, especially if vented to atmosphere.

Better engine cooling capacity than with conventional turbo system, especially those with front mounted intercoolers.

Built in intercooling from the heat dissipation through the charge air tubing that is mostly located out of the engine compartment and exposed to ambient air.

No need to add turbo-timers or auxiliary oil system pre-lubrication devices.

What about a speed bump and break off the housing
:rofl:

thats a pretty cool idea… i would have never thought to put the turbo so far away from the motor. Sounds pretty bad ass… i wonder how much lag it really has? Id like to see some numbers. They should try to make a skidplate for that turbo or something though. Id be scurred of da sp33dbump5. :eek3:

werd

That has to be the dumbest turbo setup I have even seen… If that was on my car like that I would ripp the turbo right off the underneath of the car the 1st time I drove it on PA roads !! Well he oviously must not live in PA and drive on our roads… so I guess it might work :rolleyes: There has to be some serious lag… but its a unique setup none the less… I guess dyno numbers will prove it.

edit: I checked out the site and their “dyno” pics were pics of a Gtec Pro… nice hua?

Originally posted by SP71Supra
That has to be the dumbest turbo setup I have even seen… If that was on my car like that I would ripp the turbo right off the underneath of the car the 1st time I drove it on PA roads !! Well he oviously must not live in PA and drive on our roads… so I guess it might work :rolleyes: There has to be some serious lag… but its a unique setup none the less… I guess dyno numbers will prove it.

edit: I checked out the site and their “dyno” pics were pics of a Gtec Pro… nice hua?
what do u expeck it’s 4 f-body’s:D

What about a speed bump and break off the housing
:rofl:

The turbo mounts just about even w/ the back wheels, so speedbumps and driveways aren’t a big problem. The scary thing is bumps that drop just one back wheel down, or debris in the roadway that sticks up!

-TJ

i’m not really worried about where and how the turbo is mounted but how about oil lines?since oil lines coming off the turbo and going to the turbo are gravity fed how in the hell would it not just feed the oil to the turbo but then return the oil unless they have a seperate dry pump of some sort to help push the oil along…i dunno i dont get it

Originally posted by tjZ28
The turbo mounts just about even w/ the back wheels, so speedbumps and driveways aren’t a big problem. The scary thing is bumps that drop just one back wheel down, or debris in the roadway that sticks up!

-TJ

Or railroad tracks and a 99 camaro LS1 scraps :smiley:

TJ when you visiting my house again :cool:

when the fuck are you grabbing another 1/4 stick of dynamite you owe me :cool: :cool: :cool:

Or railroad tracks and a 99 camaro LS1 scraps :smiley:

TJ when you visiting my house again :cool:

when the fuck are you grabbing another 1/4 stick of dynamite you owe me :cool: :cool: :cool:

Yeah, it drags it’s way low aftermarket Y-pipe that runs through the whole mid section of the car… the worst possible place to have low components (break-over angle). I dunno when I’ll be in PA again… my fam. moved back to Cali.

-TJ

Originally posted by tjZ28
Yeah, it drags it’s way low aftermarket Y-pipe that is right runs through the whole mid section of the car… the worst possible place to have low components (break-over angle). I dunno when I’ll be in PA again… my fam. moved back to Cali.

-TJ

no shit i can read previous post!!!:smiley:

your welcomed @ my house again for Budweiser any time… :smiley: