Cool shit, Remote mounted turbos

I know YOU guys would appreciate this. :slight_smile:

http://www.ststurbo.com/ls1_installation_pics

http://www.ststurbo.com/i/u/1473169/i/LS1_underneath_view_3.jpg

This camaro makes 500 whp and 500 ft tq. Awesome stuff

STS TURBO KITS

Lag anyone?

Hahaha yea it prolly spools at like 4500 rpm but it also has a lot of exhaust flow coming from that huge 8 cylinder motor. But, you can’t say thats not awesome.

The idea of a turbo is to reap all the benifits from extreamly hot gas, and use that energy to spool up the turbo as it cools and expands, by the time the exhaust gets to the turbo it will have cooled down and slowed down so much that i’d be suprised if the turbo even spooled to push 20psi on a big V8.

How in-efficient can you get?

Lets try dragging turbos along the ground next time, maybe the sparks will spool the turbo!

thats how some kits come for pickups.
the turbo replaces the muffler…

I was just watching “Two Guys Garage” yesturday and they did exactly this install.

When from 360ish rwhp to high 400’s with the bolt on alone…this was with no tuning.

Hope he doesn’t drive through a puddle…

I think the thing that disapoints me the most about this setup is that there are daily driven NA f-bodies that huff out 500+hp and can still be used to get the grocceries. I’m looking at all the silicone couplers thinking “it would suck to have a piece of crap off the road rip one open.” I find it hard to believe that the guys who built that system couldn’t find room under the hood for one single turbo. :roll:

How hard could it be to put a splash or heat sheild over the turbo? Not very hard, and it makes it practical and easily doubles as a daily…

That was probably taken for photo purposes…

The PURPOSE of that setup is so that it DOES NOT break emissions laws.
It does not require you to modify your manifolds, pre-cats, cats etc, nor does it interfere with the operating temperature of the catalytic converters.

So that’s why that thing exists.
I think it’s a decent idea, it might be laggy on a 1.6L honda but on a 5.7L muscle car i bet you’d see very little lag.

Talk about pressure loss from all that plumbing.

It probably wouldn’t be that bad at all from a lag/efficiency point of view.

You’re pushing air though a restriction, it should keep the speed up quite nicely.

As said before, the air will get there, and an LS1 moves a LOT of air.

Wonder how hot the oil in his diff is going to get though … and that’s a lot of glowing red hot right under the gas tank.

adding that Y pipe thing probably robbed him of 30hp off his NA setup alone.

But I have seen these kits for sale in magazines, and I remember seeing a ghetto DIY on a Mustang. It really is probably the easiest way to turbo a latemodel NA.

But from a power standpoint … this is weak. TT LS1s are over the 1000 hp mark easily.

500whp is not that hard out of an NA LS1 either, believe it or not, they are a tech marvel gasp even from GM.

Mind you that’s a cam, intake and hedders on a 426.

Apparently they have weak internals in comparison to the Fords…

… :shock: Since when have enthusiast cared about things like emissions? lol Gutted cat anyone?

… :shock: Since when have enthusiast cared about things like emissions? lol Gutted cat anyone?[/quote]

Since people started getting heat over emmissions?

Loverly!!! This is a wack system. Turbos run off of heat…not airflow.
They sell this set-up for Accords and Camrys too. Fuckin’ holocaust.

I will let you know how it works when i do it. This will be my new school project, we have a 93 camaro we use for a drag car at school and it is begging for a turbo. It just so happens the we have 3 brand new t71 turbo’s laying around off of some cummins diesel engines. This is prob a good option for camaros because there is not a hole lot of room under the hood and there are wireing harnesses every where on the LS1.

Ummm…no? :roll:

umm yes

turbochargers are heat scavengers…they are not pinwheels blowing in air flow as many people think

they run off the very high heat differential between the hot and cold side of the turbine, this differential powers the turbine

if they were just a “pinwheel” you would not be able to extract any extra energy from the system…they are positive feedback devices

I knew that turbos required lots of heat to work properly, but I didn’t realize that they ran mainly on the heat differential. I was under the impression that turbos were pinwheels that ran on the exhaust gas speeds and the heat was needed to get the exhaust to the speed needed to spin the turbine. Oh well… Colour me :oops: