Turbo routing.

Ive been reading online the routing and piping of some turbo set ups but, get lost in just complete kits and this is what comes with it. Im trying to learn esentially how it works. What goes where? What does what and how does it function? Ive seen twin turbo V8 set ups and theres a ton of piping, im curious as of what the routing stages are, how single turbos work on V8’s with two manifolds and meeting etc. Seriously interested in the whole line cycle and routing etc.

v8 single turbo would involve exhaust manifolds to a collector or “up pipe” into the turbo… internally or externally gated… turbo outlet to hotside intercooler piping to intercooler, to cold side intercooler piping to throttle body… blow off valve in cold side piping waste gate either in the turbo OR in the uppipe… for twin turbo application you would have double everything up until you reached intercooler. dual inlet single outlet to throttle body…make sense?

No one will take anything you say seriously.

Keep it simple.

Exhaust gas has to go in the turbine inlet, and out the turbine exit.

that spins the compressor, air comes in the inlet and out the outlet towards your throttle body. Put an intercooler between the outlet and the throttle body.

There is no real rhyme or reason, for anything less than a race car installation. Make A meet B, and C meet E with D in the middle.

There are many variables that will tailor a particular installation. Each aspect; manifold design, collectors, flanges, primaries, wg placement etc, turbo design, turbine design, physical size, etc, intercooler solution, water or air, tubing length, tubing dia, tubing material, placement, bov placement, etc… every piece of the puzzle has their own pieces to their own puzzle.

:rofl

So having long tubes youd need to make them pretty much flow into one, then into the turbo? I know people make custom manifolds for V8 twins and singles but ive seen some also reatain the long tubes and pretty much 90* bend off of them on each side then join up in the middle or a selected spot and then one up into the turbo. So then from the turbo over to the one side of the intercooler then out the other. May be a dumb question but one side im sure is designated hot/cold. Say you have a fitment issue and my hot side has to flow into the right side and cold side needs to be left to flow into TB, can that be special made? Then with exhaust. Seeing as the headers flow into the turbo now esentially, what do i do for exhaust in theory?

not only are you a fucking moron, you’re a douchebag too… i can live with not being liked… you’re just fucking useless. everything i told him was 100% correct… now why dont you take a lesson and go try and die in a rolling fireball faggot.

what side air enters an intercooler does not matter… a downpipe would have to come off the turbo and could be made to meet up (usually) with a flex section or your choice of catback to complete the exhaust.

I feel like the exit of the exhaust would add a lot of piping having true duals and all. On a car that already is super tight putting a 76mm+ turbo isnt going to be the easiest.

you’d end up losing “true duals” as a result of going to a big single turbo. it would have to be a single downpipe and Y off at the catback or something similar.

Or just dump out the bottom? And never be able to pass inspection with no cats once again haha.

slooooow down cowboy. :slight_smile:

long tubes are not ideal for a turbo setup at all. They are used becasue people choose to use what they already have and go from there.

If you want the turbo positioned somewhere up inside the engine bay, you are talking 70" worth of headers, a crossover pipe from each collector, another 2-1 merger, and another 40"+ of tubing to feed the turbine. Thats A: expensive (3" 304ss is like $12 a foot, time for bends, time for welding, make a 2:1 merge…) and B: inefficient (velocity loss over length if dia isnt change to compensate). All the tight bends needed to physically fit the stuff in there will be like hitting brick walls when it comes to flow. Every bend adds restriction example: 180 degs of say 2" dia is like adding 12" of the same straight tubing to the run. not correct numbers you get the point.

Proper way is to get the exhaust gasses from the heads to the turbo as short as possible and keeping the velocity up to spin the turbine up fast.

the actually core of an intercooler is not in/out dependent. Hot side and cold side only is a goofy term used to say what side the inlet and outlet are on THAT PARTICULAR INSTALLATION. BUT. the end tanks can be formed in such a way that the flow leading up to, passing through and then entering and passing out of WOULD dictate the in/out for the installation. But if they are symmetric there is no difference.

You will no longer have a “true dual” exhausts with a single turbo setup. True duals are an equalized COMPLETE exhaust system left bank to right bank, with a X or H pipe in the middle to help balance it out. picture the turbo as being that X pipe. 2 heads feed into on turbo, the the turbo can have a down pipe split into 2 for duals… but performance wise there is not a reason to unless the volume is so great that you need say XXX Ci of volume inside the exhaust to not cause a restriction, and that tube would be spec’d to say 5" dia. 2, 3" dia tubes would then be ok to use because their internal volume, sum’d together would be = to or more than the 5" spec thats required.

quoted for truth.

And be the loudest, flame throwing, fumes sucking into the cabin car ever! lol

Again, is this a race car or not.

Anything short of a car never seeing a plate and the road, 90% of all the things you are worrying about are irrelevant for the most part and getting way into too much detail and science behind it.

Power level you want dictates the turbo selection for the motor powering it. Tuning solution and legality will determine how much of the shit in the way under the hood can be eliminated to make room for all the turbo stuff.

Place the turbo where it has to go, space wise… then get the exhaust gasses to it some how, as efficiently as space and cash will allow.

Then the intercooler should be spec’d to be efficient enough for your goals. Not power… I am talking efficiency at pulling heat out. A drag IC isnt the same as a roll racer IC and isnt the same as a road course IC. fit that in the car then work towards charge piping fitment to the TB and the turbo.

Make a downpipe and decided what you want the exhaust to be and just make it from there.

Mike youve seen under the hood on the car so you know the minimal room. The intercooler will fit without a problem and the cold side up the front left and into the throttle body will be easy. For a top/front mount the only place it can and will be able to go in up on the front right top section behind the head light where i have that huge area of space or behind the bumper if i cut put the bumper support, crash bar and stick it in there. Then mounting it. So the easiest way would be to make new manifolds. Pretty much 4 into 1 on each side then have the passanger side come under and meet the other then into the turbo? Then one down and back out for exhaust or just a dump. Ive been told with a 76mm id need a 4 inch down pipe and at least 3 inch charge piping. With an 88mm id need a 5 inch down pipe for optimal use.

Id like to maintain street use and still drive it as wanted. Will it be a daily? No.

This isnt going to happen untill im done with school. Im just interested in the aspect of how it works. Ive known a long time ago its just easier to buy an F1R procharger or YSI and bolt it in and go but, the big single turbo hasnt really been done yet and the point in doing this would be to get the experience and fabricating time.

http://youtu.be/vGhlgphrBxA

“. So the easiest way would be to make new manifolds. Pretty much 4 into 1 on each side then have the passanger side come under and meet the other then into the turbo? Then one down and back out for exhaust or just a dump.”

confused me.

Both manifolds will merge 2:1into a T6 flange lets say will and feed the turbo. then a single downpipe will snake back down and out to the cat back.

its not a race car… no need to go nuts with a 5" downpipe. not only is is expensive as hell for the material, its a royal paint to shoe horn it anywhere. I would just do like I am on my camaro, 5" Vband outlet. 5 to 3" reducer and send 3" the rest of the way out the ass of the car, single shot. Yeah i might loose a c-hair of power, but it doesnt matter in reality.

charge pipes 3" is plenty, no real need to go bigger. Again, packaging is #1 priority on a tight engine compartment… its not a bare bones gutted race car where 5" tubing is like a hotdog down a hallway.

You really do make me laugh. You’d be pretty good at making an attempt at dying in a rolling fireball so I’d like to get a lesson from you. I don’t need to ask if your busy to make arrangements because I’m certain your unemployed or working some dead end ass job you could blow off anyways.

Ah, meant the 4 pipes from the manfiold off each port into 1 on each side then that into 1 pipe to the turbo.