how to tell when you have no gear fluid ?

OK so i moved my car this morning and noticed some gear fluid on the ground. I moved to another parking spot and its not leaking, nor do i see any splatter of gear oil under neath the car.
My ? is how can i tell if ive run out of gear oil in the rear end ? How long till the gears start moaning or grinding ? Also shouldnt i notice some splatter if i was losing oil ?

the last time my rear end blew up i had a pinion seal leak that was covered under warrenty and it just got louder and made a nasty whining noise.

Umm…maybe check to see if theres any in it thru the fill plug

u sure its urs?

i dont know but i have been feeling alil vibration when taking off from a stop light lately. Could be anything. but i know ive been hard on my axles by racing so maybee it just be being paranoid.

it might not be mine but if it is i wanna be prepaired

just pull the fill plug and check it. prob someone else’s but if worried just do a quick check for peace of mind. a rear diff will take a lot of abuse though

taking off from a stop? you mean launching?

and prepared to trade it in? :smiley:

u got a camaro ? or a bmw 335 coupe?

either way it will be an auto. so ask darkstar.

Dam Right I learned how to drive stick sice i been here and still an auto is nice in baltimore, traffic is alot worse here than pittsburgh.
I havent seen a open road with more than 1 mile of open space since i moved here.
heck it took me 40 minutes to move 4 blocks today

gasket perhaps?

when its low you will hear it howling like crazy, but thats when it gets really low, just pull the plug and see where the fluid is at