HP laptop question

boards just go bad. How much is a new one?

fix his computer big dog… i always see you tell people they are idiots for not bringing it to you… so make with it… fix that shit

are you sure it turns off when you move it or do you just happen to be moving it when it turns off?? and how does it turn off?? Instantly or does it actually shut down as if the button was pressed?? if it shutdowns like you pushed the button then check your switch it could be bad…or a certain chip on your mobo could be getting too hot and it forces a shutdown…get a temp monitoring too if your mother board has temp sensors…or just like my 3rd desktop…if it shuts down like you pushed the button and none of the above is the problem…you have a boot virus…doesn’t matter what you run whether it’s an OS from HD or a LIVE Cd it will continue to do it…pm me…i fix computers for a living

laptop = propriatary = alot of money.

well its dumb not to bring to someone who is going to fix it for free… or atleast diagnose the problem free of charge :smiley:

IF the motherboard is bad then it’s gonna be about 500 bucks to replace it…i would just sell the laptop however you could(IF thats the situation)and use the money that you would have spent on a mobo to buy a new computer…but yea it would be nice to know HOW the computer turns off

I dont think its going to be motherboard… before you start rulling things out its better to actually have someone look at it.

yea but the guy with the mobo(sorry i was too lazy to look at your sn) hasn’t said anything back as of yet and have you seen the laptop yourself(i haven’t obviously). Could be anything…if it just “clicks” off then it’s a hardware issue…but if the machine actually goes through the shutdown process then it’s most likely a software problem or a virus…

I think I am still HP certified on laptops :kekegay: and think I can still look up prices if you need a ballpark quote.

i am too… indirectly.

who ever said anything about charging anyone?

what sucks is that it’s a pavillion and that’s the consumer line… which is propriatery to HP support… meaning that not any certified HP house can fix it… hell, i don’t even think we can order parts for consumer products, but i can check, if you want me to.

if you shoot me the serial i can run it through the database and see if this is a common issue, if htere is a solution availible and if it’s a known problem that sometimes warranties are extended for… you are oging to have to send it to HP directly to get it certified… they do have quick turn around, but i doubt it’s cheap.

ok…

so you confirmed that nothing is loose… physically loose or electronically loose? you need to check the AC connector and ensure that it’s properly seated or if soldered that the solder is good… hell, resolder over with a tiny bit at a low voltage just to ensure…

you did say that the battery works??? if you unplug the AC power the laptop will stay on, correct?

otherwise, if it’s not a defunct motherboard (50/50) then it could be a short… i’ve seen shorts that cause this sort of behavior…

i doubt it’s a temp issue as someone mentioned it could be… temp issues only rise after the PC has been on for a while then progressively get worse until you let it ‘cool off’ or sit over night… the fact that your laptop works and then doesn’t… and then does leads me away from a fan / temp issue.

sucks man… hit me up wtih a serial if you want me to run a check on those models and see if they have any notes out there about it.

Wow, lots of posts.

The computer turns off at once, not using the shut down process. Once it’s off, I have to flip the reset switch. If I don’t click the reset switch, it will not turn back on. That’s why I kind of ruled of software.

Physically, nothing was loose/looked out of the ordinary.

Edit : This is why I assumed a motherboard problem. I would think that a soldering problem, gap, etc, would cause this issue all of the time, not when jarred around. Someone else mentioned possibly a hairline crack in the mobo, but I couldn’t find anything.

Electronically, the solder still looks fine, unless I missed something.

Battery does work, AC power does work. Both are fine by themselves, or used with both plugged in. I doubt it’s the AC plug because of this as well.

I doubt it’s a temp. issue. It has done it within minutes (maybe less) of boot up before.

Serial is (S) CN31238735

I don’t think I missed anything.

flip the reset switch?
…before pressing the power switch to turn it on?

Yes. When it dies instantly like it does, if I just press the Power button again, it will not turn back on. After I click the Reset button, and then press the Power button again, it will turn back on.

That still doesn’t rule out temp issues…lets just say your cpu cooling fan doesn’t turn on soon enough or at all…even with the heatsink attached to the processor it could still get too hot in a matter of about 60-120 seconds…although you are right and it might not be the problem…dont rule it out just yet. As far as the motherboard http://www.impactcomputers.com/319613-001.html so much for not being able to order it huh?

Ouch. Definitely not buying a new motherboard for it.

As far as temp, I don’t know, man. I had it running a good 35 minutes in the car two days ago with no issues.

Yea the motherboard price is steep…it’s not a bad machine though…so your saying it just cuts straight off…thats def hardware…doesn’t take a genious to figure that out though…how much do you actually want to spend to fix it? because i know best buy has laptops on sale cheaper than the price of your motherboard