HSD Coil Overs - REVIEW

Well, I am probably not the greatest on writing reviews. Especially since this is my first s-chassis with full coil overs.

Keep in mind, I have full multi-link, sways, tc rods etc etc.

93 Chuki. RB up front (weight) 150lb box in the hatch (weight) Along with the aforementioned mods above.

With a general alignment. Toe set dead center. caster pulled back (opposite of what is wanted, shame on me) And camber in about 2 degree’s. Sitting on 7/5’s. Front pre-load adjusted half inch or so over recommended setting per HSD. Dampening front iirc, 8. rear 5.

Car handles incredibly. Steering response due to the pillow balls is unbelievable. Body roll is reduced substantially. Stiff yet smooth comfortable ride. With the coils, the car at the drag strip on a 235/60 slick hooked up AMAZINGLY. NO wheel hop at all.
Have yet to feel wheel hop on the street.
Having the dampening easily and readily available to adjust is a big thing for me. Turn the knobs and away you go. Insanely easy to adjust height and pre-load as with many other coil over systems.
Not to mention to pretty colors. :wink:

My only complaint, is the collar/sleeve should provide a little more height adjustment. (to bring the front end down) It is sufficient as it sits now. I just do not like the fact that there is maybe a 1/4" left.

Keep in mind also. This is my first set of coils. Real coils. I still have yet to get a corner balance done. As well as roll center adjusters and tie rods. Once all that is done. (should be within a month) and some fresh tires. I’m 100% sure the handling characteristics of my car will improve greatly.

I am not sure who else on SON purchased HSD via Mika @ Pur aside from Harmit. Yet, I’m sure he’ll chime in here if he has a chance, or any input at all.

If I had to give a rating, an honest rating out of 10. I’d say…7.5/10.

I’ll add on to this review in about a week. Waiting on those sleeves for the front knuckles to install the front coils ( 4 lug to 5 lug).

But still, 7.5/10 Chris? What don’t you like about them? Or is that a temporary rating, because of the things u still have left to do?

It’s temporary I guess you could say.

I just dislike the fronts lack of height adjustment.

Then again, I’m running a 24.7" diameter wheel on the front as well. May have a lot to do with it.

So, I’ve been meaning to post on here for while.

I installed my HSD’s and got a proper alignment (CAN ALIGNMENT). And these coils are insane.

They’ve corrected some of street issues i was having. Like when i was 100+ and I hit a small bump or irregularty, my other coils, bounced a little and the damper didn’t react the way i wanted. HSD’S fixed that.

Also, I took these to Mosport big track. And that was my real test. They were amazing. Improved my traction huge!!! The car felt so much more stable, and was more neutrel. Also, the car didn’t lose contorl over bumps or act harshely. Even with a 9/7 spring rate.

Overall, on the street they are so nice, perfect for me.

And on track, they’ve basically improved my car a great deal.

Compared to my previous coils, which where megans, which i would still give a 7.5-8.0/10, I woudl give my hsd’s a 9.5/10. Couldn’t be better in my eyes.

Woudl give the a perfect, but i haven’t tried, the super baller shit, and I think that score is reserved for them. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that, I’ve been hearing negative reviews on most JDM coilovers on several forums. Did HSD release any shock dynos? As a matter of fact, I’m going to look that up right now.

Im looking for a super comfortable coilover( with height/camber/dampening adjustments mainly.

Anyone have any leads? I find my megan streets on my hatch harsh with 45 profile tires upfront and 35 in the rear.

get tein basics devon !

HSDs with a softer spring rate, like 7/5, would be just what you’re looking for. nice comfy (but still sporty) ride with FULL adjustment (damping, ride height, spring preload, and camber)

We’re all out of S13 sets at the moment, though. It’ll be at least a couple months before the next batch arrive.

Mike is right. I didn’t want anything stupid rough. The 7/5’s work awesome. They felt good on the track as well.
Adjust-ability is fucking awesome. I went from driving to Cayuga, messed with the settings a bit and the car hooked up awesome on the drag strip. Set them back up for the street for a comfy ride back.

A shorter front spring will fix that issue.

Let me know if you need springs or corner balancing!

aye

HSD springs will interchange with most popular springs… stock HSD spring height is 200mm

if you get a 180 or 160mm spring… well then you’re laughing

but bear in mind you will be sacrificing ride quality for the drop

i got a set of hsd’s from pur for my s14 too
havent tried on track yet

So I’ve put a few thousand kilometers on the coils now and I gotta say I’m thorougly impressed. I opted for the 9/7’s because well, I like stiff (no homo) and they are exactly that. Their stiff, but still enjoyable to daily drive and not jarring, even compared to my previous kyb/lowering spring combo their a much smoother and more comfortable ride.

I havnt had a chance to drive them at the track yet but hopefully that will come soon, but based on some spirited street driving they handle awesome and compliment the rest of my suspension setup nicely. The height adjustment is adequate, theres tons of adjustment in the rear and enough in the front for your average person. If you want schlammmed you always have the option of removing collars.

All in all their great coilovers and for the price cant be beat in the canadian market.

i purchased a set for my r33 and they ride great, my only concern was the front coilovers dont have a bracket for the brake line to be held in place… i had stance on my 240 and they had them, figured hsd would too. i just dont wanna get pulled over for something stupid and have them find that and pull my car off the road. you would think after spending over 1300 on these they would at least keep you legal… guess not.

just my 2 cents

its just that shes hired to write car review articles, and she should at least know what shes talking about. Like someone said above, she probably drives a Chrysler Town & Country

I am glad to hear that everyone else is enjoying the HSD as much as i am! I normally use them for the street and they’re amazing. For those that are looking to purchase them, i got mine from www.tdotperformance.com, great service and price!

ive got a set on the Lexus IS250 and it rides like stock at full soft pretty amazing I plan on getting a set for my rx7 when i have a few free dollars

I have a set from HSD from last summer and my fronts have blow BRAND NEW (less then 6 months old, i still have the boxes they came in) and no 1 will do anything about it under warrenty I’ve called people and they tell me to talk to other people, basically been given the run around. I still want my coils fixed (apparently you cant deal with warranty issues yourself), Needless to say im pissed off.

Dido^^^^ … Dont seem to last, i have 15000 km and 5 months on my before before problems started.

• parts are hard to find for them. Im needing just camber plates but cant find any anywhere!!!

true say they seem to last only 6 months to a year but that’s with Toronto city driving, but you guys got to understand any coil will blow in a city like this, teins hks or stance will last wven less coils are for the track only!! flat roads so pot holes or bumps. if you put colils on a car make sure you have a daily driver cause or else the bottom line is you have to pay for a full set every fucking year that’s 1500 + labor every year for your suspension