HSR @ Watkins Glen - 6/15/08

The #33 Z in those pics is chassis number 6, the first production Z to not be crash tested.

Think I could get the full res versions of those two (and any others you may have of it) to give to the guys at Sharpsite? Im sure they would love to have them.

Dan

wat?

^ yep, I talked to my buddy that keeps the #33 Z car going today at lunch. He was telling me one of the cars owned by someone they know (yes I suck at details) costs about $10k/hr to run.

Dan

Yea thats awesome on an amazing level right there

Yeah, Aaron is correct they cost between 5-15k per hour just to run those cars and you HAVE to have atleast one, usually two mechanics on hand for the weekend. I know a guy who used to run a former Camel/Spice car and he said it was costing him about $7k an hour. He now runs GT1R with PCA because it’s significantly “cheaper”. :lol:

From the guys on Rennlist (a bunch of them were there aparently).

1:42 on his second lap ever, that’s rediculous when you consider the track record is a 1:30 set by IRL in '05 and before that was a 1:32 set at the final F1 USGP held at the track.

Stupid question but why so much to run them per hour?

Strict maintenence? very skilled/expensive mechanics?

short engine life, expensive-as-fuck tires/brakes/fuel, other expendables/consumables combined with uber-expensive insurance, transport costs and the like.

hell it costs me about $1k-1500 a weekend for a track day in all reality when I factor in wear-and-tear, transport, hotel, gas, tires, brakes and that’s not even real racing, just DEs.

Yeah… for example, I know Porsche Motorsport has two brand new 962 long blocks on the shelf… $90k EACH. That’s not including sensors, tin, accessories, manifolds, turbos, etc.

Figure a rebuild is around $20-30k.

FFS i guess when you have a 7 figure car, its all in perspective.