HVAC advice needed.

so I have a newer (2000) 2 floor home with forced air. The problem that I’m having is that the upstairs never gets warm enough. I have even closed most of the ducts to the downstairs but it still remains 6 degrees colder upstairs. the whole systems appears to function well, all vents blow heat, all returns suck air in.

in my research, it looks like the cause of my problem is probably related to the returns. I have high returns in every room. I’ve also blocked off the heat vents in the two unused bedrooms, but it appears this might make things worse.

In theory I’m thinking that blocking some of the downstairs returns might cause the upstairs to increase in warmth.

thoughts? do I have this correct?

what is your exiting air temp on the upper floors, what is the system (gas, electric or heat pump).

What is the size of the system (tonnage)?

What is your heat input (kW or MBh)?

For all intensive purposes returns don’t really matter that much, the air comes in and just leave through doors.

and why the hell did you not just pm me this?

I didn’t even think to PM you… doh…

it’s gas heat. the thermostat is set to 68 downstairs and upstairs never gets above 62/63. All vents feel warm/hot when the system is running. I can get exact readings later

I’ll have to get the rest of the info for you.