Thermostat, location...

I currently have a 2k square foot, two story home built in '09. All the bedrooms are upstairs.

My question, should I move the thermostat upstairs? I’m not home during the day, and 2 nights out of the week I might be out of town. I spend most of my time sleeping when I’m home.

My current thought is to move the t-state and get a wifi one. Then when Im going to be home, log on and make sure my bedroom is the temp I want. Not the living room where the t-stat is now.

Thoughts?

Heat rises though so your downstairs will be pretty cold. Can you change the amount of flow through your vents? My ducts have flappers inside each one a few feet from the furnace. In the winter I lessen the heat flow to upstairs so it’s not 75 while downstairs is 68. In the summer I reverse it so the a/c blows more upstairs than downstairs.

I would locate the thermostat to an area with the best “average” temperature. I would program the thermostat to give you the temperature you want for the time you’ll be home. Heat will rise to the bedrooms so the downstairs will typically be a little cooler. If you have the ability, you can regulate the air flow to the various branches off the main trunk to maybe throttle back some of the upstairs ducts to allow for a little less flow. If equipped, you can do the same thing at the room registers. This is of course assuming you have forced air and not radiant. Pretty much what eatpaint said. It’s usually an experimentation process.

Understood, I guess the biggest issue is, paying for heat when I’m not home. Not the temp when I am home.

Thoughts on a wifi ones?

I love my 3 bedroom cape with zone controlled heat. Put baseboard heat on top of that and it is so efficient. Is this system forced air?

I don’t spend that kinda time away from home but the radiant heat systems I install in baths are highly programmable with day to day settings as well as “vacation”. I would have to imagine a thermostat like that would be available for a home furnace.

Forced air

Not a huge home, built in 09 so the insulation is probably pretty good. I can’t imagine there would be much temp variance throughout the house, at least not enough to justify moving the thermostat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

the thermostat is probably in a fairly centralized location where it is now…i would stick to adjusting the dampers in the ducts to get better distribution of your warmer air. programming the t-stat to turn the furnace on at a set time isnt a bad idea, however will you be using more energy to get the temp back up to that setpoint then if you keep it up there in that range continuously?

I just checked it takes 4 hours to drop 6 degree (70 to 63) but only takes 60 mins to warm up to 69 with the furnace on for 60 sec. Every 7 mins. I think I might invest in a wireless unit based on my travel schedule. Cause, all of the programmable units are set, m-f, s-s or 5 + 2’s. Wireless will enable me to change daily and on the fly.

Or maybe I need make an RFID unit. Ie, a card that you program with the high and low you want when the card is with in 50’

Thanks, I’ll look into the damping

I grew up with a wood burning stove as a kid. Try programming one of those.

dang dude you are old :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I know, I’ve cut, split, moved do many logs on the farm, I would rather not… But I nice warm wood stove and freezing outside and working on something in the garage does have a place in my heart.

Unless he means wood, pellets :slight_smile:

Get a programmable stat with remote units. You can put the remote units upstairs and set their temp priority higher than the main unit or just turn the main off entirely. They work great on single zone setups.

Watch it there Mr. $ 9.50.

This sounds like what you’re looking for but the price seems too good to be true.

http://www.diycontrols.com/p-7585-venstar-acc0454-skyport-wi-fi-key-module-for-venstar-colortouch-t5800.aspx

is this another thing only old people would understand or did i miss something? haha :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: that venstar you posted looks pretty cool :tup:

40 face cord, from standing to split every year myself.

Little house on the Spam16v.

Not sure I’m buyin that. That much is a full time job.