hyperbolic trig?

So I have a feeling I am going to need to know what exactly this is and how to use it soon. Somehow I have escaped life this far without knowing it. Hell, only in the past year I have totally understood regular trig, even though I have to do soh-cah-toa every time.

I googled/wikipedia’ed it a little and found its like the unit circle but using a hyperbola, but that’s not a good enough answer. Clicking through links told me about centenary definition, which is pretty sweet too.

so instead of x^2+y^2=1 you use x^2-y^2=1 to get the Cartesian coordinates, but what is it used for?

Nothing. You worry too much.

4REELZ

bump. still interested in finding out…

Are you questioning its application to anything automotive? Or just math in general. Best I could find in just a quick google search was usage in hyperbolic geometry (non-euclidean), as well as in cones (plane intersections with cones), and gyrovector space.

nope just math. and yea I googled it too but that doesnt really explain much. I guess I’ll ask my old calc teacher.

You really are only going to run into it with higher level non-euclidean geometry and probably some higher level calc stuff. I’m guessing volume and cross sectional areas of cones from what I’m seeing. It’s been a few years for me but I don’t even think I saw this stuff in Calc III but then again I have forgotten a lot of my calc.

yea the up coming calc3 (like friday/next week) has conic sections. Then I have to take diff eq and multi variable calc soon, among other clases.