HYPOTHETICAL: V. Hollywood shooter gone mad.

A firearm is NEVER to be used unless you cannot first ESCAPE AND EVADE. That if your first responsibility, ESCAPE AND EVADE. You are only allowed to be responsible and/or protect YOURSELF and immediate family with you. You are NOT a law enforcement official, you can only escape and evade and offer your eyewitness account to help the police. In a court of law, you have to provide your account of how you first attempted to escape and evade harm. If you are/or were safe, away from the shooter, you are responsible to be a good witness and nothing more. If the MF’er even came close to pointing it at my apartment… well… only you and a dead man can debate that split second, and dead men don’t lie in a court of law.

you’re not REQUIRED to do anything about the situtation, but you are justified.

This. For most of you I would say stay out of it. Unless you’re trained and practiced with firearms I’d say law low doing only what you safely can. Everything else aside, you don’t want a human death on your conscience that you directly caused if you can ever avoid it. Americans are bred very sheltered from the horrors of the real world and I din’t think many people could take something like that and come out on top.

if you take the shot, and kill him… you most likely won’t be prosecuted BUT, the family of this crazy asshole will most probably go after you in civil court.

I’d like to think that if someone shot this guy that they would be viewed as a hero…but being California… who knows…that state is so ass backwards.

BUT, if I was driving down the street and I saw this guy shooting at the car in front of me, you better believe I’d take cover behind my car and take him out as I always carry a firearm in my car… that, or go wide open right into the guy.
Unfortunately, the majority of people in this country are too afraid of the legal repercussions to defend themselves or their fellow man.

Didn’t say anywhere you’re required to do anything, quite the opposite, GTFO is what I said. Unless you cannot GTFO safely, you’re not allowed to use force IE: discharge a firearm, or kick ass in any way as your link states. (as much as you’d like) Offering some good information to help law enforcement do their job is always a good idea, that’s safer for you and everyone else involved.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Bad juju either way if it can be avoided, I would. Seen enough people killed in training accidents stateside as it is, and being in vehicle recovery in the Army got to deal with more of it than I’d like. First week at my first duty station got to see my first dead body.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Bad juju either way if it can be avoided, I would. Seen enough people killed in training accidents stateside as it is, and being in vehicle recovery in the Army got to deal with more of it than I’d like. First week at my first duty station got to see my first dead body.

I wasn’t implying that you said someone was required to take action, I was merely clarifying that the law says that you can step in, not that you must.

Also, you’re not fully getting the GTFO part. Reread 35.15-2a. Basically, if GTFO doesn’t end the threat to other people, you don’t have to GTFO and you’re justified in using deadly physical force if you have reason to believe other peoples lives are at risk.

Having lived in three states, two of which having a CHL/permit/handgun, every state is a little different. Getting yourself out is pretty much universal thus far in reading enough laws, without a month of sundays to translate every one in every state to the extent of having a law degree.

I’m no hero, if I can get myself and other valued parties out, that’s where I’m headed. If I can end it safely & effectively and help others, I will, but I want to make sure I can fulfill obligations I’ve made to my family first. First rule of first aid is not to become a victim, it has other applications as well.

In this world today, somehow taking this guy out would somehow end up getting you sued so if I was in a safe place out of harms way, I would probably stay covered then avoid the possible legal issues.

If I was in danger or had the opportunity to save people who were clearly in danger, I would have no problem taking a shot. I have been a ridiculously good shot and could hit a target with a 308 at 500 yards when I used to shoot regularly. It really would depend on the situation and the danger faced. Later in the guys rampage where he was obviously a threat to the public, environment he was in, and who was around him that could potentially be injured by taking my own action would be all factors that would play into the decision and also how much danger I would have to be placed in to help out like if I was in the open vs a building to take the shot.

Exactly Boxxa, I’m not taking a 100+ yard off hand shot with a handgun risking injury to others and attracting fire from him. But if I had at least iron sites on a rifle, a clear shot, clear backdrop and a safe vantage point, I might not even claim the shot.

Understood, i just wanted to clarify the nys law that applies here.

http://twitter.com/tylerbrehm

Wow,slam piece dumped him,began taking pills,shooting rampage.

^wow, the cop picture where the shooter is on the ground… that picture is powerful. :-/

I have those same kicks (dead guys)

If i have a gun, yes probably atleast try. (especially if i was at risk) If i don’t , then fuck no. I’d probably end up dying though lol. “Don’t try and be a hero” always comes to mind. However this guy seems he was doped up and delusional so…

What are the chances though that someone on the street would stop this guy?

In CA? not great, only because CA is very anti Carry conceal … But it sounds like he brought one gun with probably 1 or 2 magazines… My guess is he was out of ammo before the police showed up. Also, based on his inability to hit more than one person from point blank range, my guess is there is NO WAY he’d be able to make a shot on anybody up in an apt/ office.

That being said, anybody from 20 + yards with any long gun would have a GREAT chance at stopping the gunman. (we saw this when the police finally showed up)

Victim: John Atterberry remains in critical condition after being shot through the jaw and neck as he drove to the bank. The top music executive has worked with The Spice Girls, Brandy and Jessica Simpson

Read more: Tyler Brehm's ex-girlfriend Alicia Alligood 'woke up to 14 texts and he was dead' | Daily Mail Online

Maybe this guy was just trying to protect us from poor music?

LOL

I think that if I had my rifle and felt I could take him out I would have. I don’t know if I would take credit for that or if I would just clean my gun and put it away never to speak of the event again. I have a feeling this would get me in a world of shit with the law though.

edit: I am picturing the vantage point of the 4th story window. just replace the camera with a gun and scope.

I mentioned that in my post. Big world of shit, but the job would get done.

I wonder how hard they would look for the shooter? I mean as long as you are not using something massive like a 50cal would they really know where to start looking? Just a thought