I.C. question

does anyone know where i can get an i.c. like this one?? i guess the place where this kid got his is no longer in business…

its just a custom endtank on a standard core… any metal fab shop could do it

^any suggestions of places around here?
does innovative do them?

is there some sort of a divider in the middle, what’s the stop the air from just doing a 180 and going back out the other pipe right away?

Ever look down the inside of an intercooler? the air HAS to go down one way and out the other… there are "tubes, that hold the fins…

So it traves out the top part and then gets SUCKED through the bottom…

Spearco also make custom intercoolers, just pic the core an end caps and they weld it up and ship it to you.

yeah, that was a pretty stupid question on my part now that I’m thinking about it.

you dont want an intercooler like that anyway. they cool well but they flow like crap.

if you want an intercooler that has the pipes on one end, get a different style similar to this (but not exactly)

or this

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/images/spearco%20web%20intercooler.jpg

you dont want to force the air through one core, have it get all turbulent in the other end tank and then into a second core to the outlet. you lose alot of energy (flow) that way.

Brian

Where can you buy a core?

edit; nm… found some on ebay.

www.treadstoneperformance.com

They sell intercoolers just like the one reliant posted above or you can buy a core along

with end tanks similar to the one on the s13 you posted and have someone one weld it

for you.

QFT. The 1st 6" of the core does like 90+% of the cooling anyway, so having a long core is worthless esp due to the restriction. You really want an fmic like the one in the last pict. I bet that core can support HUGE hp

Honestly, I’d prefer to buy the cores and fab up a tank seperately.
Drill out the cores, run a couple copper pipes through, and enjoy.

one of my buddies bought a ebay spearco knock off like the one i posted and it cooled great (inlet/outlet temp comparison), and flowed well (low press drop) even at 25+ psi with a 50 trim.

copper pipes? what are you talking about??

Brian

^so the 2nd one u posted would be good?
like a buick regal style front mount?

more so for radiator/liquid cooling tbh, which is a small system im designing then building for dumping heat from a utility trailer on 12v -.-

You know, copper heat pipes?
Drill a hole through the width of the core in a few spots, fit a copper pipe in the proper size… maybe slightly larger than the hole drilled (by .050" or less maybe… I’d have to crunch numbers), heat the core so it expands, send the pipe through, braze/weld it to the core ends.
Although it may create some turbulence within the water, so meh.
Who knows.
But then again, this is only really relevant with a larger core, width wise I’d say.

yeah the second one i posted would be great. relatively short tubes for good flow but still cools well.

you mean copper fin tube?

youll have to show me a pic of what you mean cause im not following at all. especially how it relates to dftsilvia’s application.

however i do know of a guy that made his own intercooler with fin tube (aka home heat baseboard radiator stuff) and it sucked. doesnt cool hardly at all cause it doesnt have much surface area touching the air as it passes through.

Brian

Doesn’t relate too much to his application, because it would be too costly to make it effective for a normal person I’d say.
for liquid cooling it would be.
But for air cooling it could be, provided the copper tubes are small enough, and there’s enough of them, which could be easily possible. But the cost of the copper would get pretty high, but then again aluminum could be easily used as well.
How do you think industrial heat exchangers work?
1k+ small diameter tubes inside a larger unit.

edit; can’t find a cross section, but I know api basco makes them all the time.
http://www.apiheattransfer.com/us/Products/HeatExchangers/ShellAndTube/PLACShellAndTube.htm
or
http://www.apiheattransfer.com/us/Products/HeatExchangers/ShellAndTube/TypeES.htm w/ liquid involved.
there’s kinda something to the effect of tubes, but not in a radiator design.

oh ok, i get what you are talking about. using industrial methods to make an automotive intercooler.

i like those heat exchangers that are stamped stainless steel plates that you stack and compress with huge allthread and nuts and it forms a sealed heat exchanger. not that you could use that for automotive but they are just cool. :slight_smile:

ok, back to auto intercooler stuff lol.

brian

bought this one, bar and plate, pretty thick, and its not so huge that it will block all the flow to my rad.
thanks 4 the info

looks like it will work well. glad to help.

be sure to do before and after temp and pressure readings. :slight_smile:

Brian