I have an experiment for anyone who didn't think the plane will take off

or better yet

A plane is standing on a runway that can move like a giant conveyor belt. The plane applys full forward power and attempts to take off. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane’s wheel speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same but in the opposite direction, similar to a treadmill.

The question is:

Do i give a fuck?

the only way to keep the plane on teh ground is to have flat tires on the plane … causing it to want to stay with the treadmill …

or realy crappy wheel bearings, and turn the treadmill up REALY fast , so that theres like 1000 pounds of rearward force being exerted on the landing gear … which will cancel out the thrust from the prop

but this image blow is what the original question sets up … and yes the plane will take off, just like if it had a small parachute trailing behind it

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=542

BAHAHHAHABHBAHBWHBAHahabBahaaaaaahhahaha

lol sooo true…:mamoru:

ok but with batman and batskates!

minus cinco delores - i do not spy a fulcrum. What is a physics question without one of those bad boys laying around…

lol nice

ummmmmmmm Planes DO NOT derive power from their wheels = Your idea won’t work

Walter is right along with the 3701928752409572 people who know simple physics. If you “know physics” sorry, but I doubt it.

did you manage to read any of my other posts.
Note sarcasm

I hate this thread…

FUCKING GET A FUCKING PLANE AND A FUCKING BIG FUCKING TREADMILL AND FUCKING TRY IT OUT.

UNTIL THEN NO ONE IS FUCKING RIGHT

GODDAMNIT!!!

JayS did this on UBRF w/ a model plane and a treadmill…no matter how fast the treadmill was going the plane moved forward…

There are 2 versions of the question…1 says the belt matches plane speed, the other says it matches wheel speed.

In both cases the plane takes off. Depending on the questions the wheels are either moving at 2x plane speed or infinity…eventhough the treadmill would never be able to match wheel speed since it would be constantly increasing as the treadmill tried. So really the only way to think of it is to have it match plane speed.

This really isn’t that hard of a question.

no realy, your wrong about this … its simple math

1000 pounds of thrust
40 pounds of rolling resistance
960 pounds of thrust left to pull the plane forward

hotridkid’s diagram is the perfect way to picture it. i was having trouble visualizing it, after seeing that its hands down u cannot argue against it.

Everyone, just let it go, i’ll be the first to admit that i was wrong and i tried answering a question that i had no business getting involved in. the plane will take off because, like walter’s motorcycle diagram shows, the force (jet engine or motorcycle) is completely independent of the ground that the wheels are touching. Now I see the forest through the trees…

your exp is sooooooo wrong on soooo many levels it really isnt worth laughing at

I thought you might have.

:ham: on me

Sorry.

Oh hindsight bias much!

lol get this i posted that plane question over on another board and lets just say it ended up locking the whole section of the forum lol they are idiots over there though

yeah its pretty much impossible to do with the wheel speed. In theory it would take off but u really couldnt build a model of it.

Why has this reposted locked thread not been locked yet?

By the way, you were wrong in the other thread about the wheel speed not approaching infinity. As the plane maintain’s forward movement and the treadmill tarmac tries to maintain equal/opposite speed to the wheel speed, it will approach infinity. It’s not that hard, but you’re obviously of below average intelligence because you can’t understand something that I can.

:bloated: