iblew my saturn engine

so i’m driving to work as usual and I was entering the 33 from the I-90 I was around 4Krpm at 75% throttle and it starts missfiring. no problem i think it probably a plug or a bad coil or something the engine does have 190K on it.

I pulled codes and it has a missfire on cylinder 3 code. so I pull the plug and it is covered in oil (NOT gas like it should have been). so I swap plugs from another cylinder and the miss is still on cylinder 3. tried switching plugwires, still nothing.

so I pull the oil cap and start it and massive blow by. now since it has a oil fouled plug i pored a quart of gear oil in it since it was 2 quarts low anyway. I was hoping it would raise the compression enough to get it to fire again but still no luck. (not that i expected it to work.)

i’m suspecting a broken piston ring so i’m going to look into it tomorrow when some part stores are open.

this is my only transportation right now so if anyone has some advice.

get on it right away. dont be like me and wait for 3 weeks trying to figure out what im gonna do lol.

you don’t understand if i can’t get parts tomorrow then i’m not taking it apart. it is still driveable, and if i take it apart i have no way to get to work.

Uhh, ohnoes. You have $100 to buy a motor for it?

And who needs 4 cylenders anyways lol.

EDIT: Oops, this is FuzzyFish

aww man… i think you said yesturday that it was running great… jinxed yourself…gl with that.

who is sellig a engine for $100?

M & M U-pull it. They always have a few in there. both SOHC, and DOHC.

^great call.

I have a SOHC with ~65k miles on it that ran great when it was pulled if you’re interested. I’d like $100 out of it and it is located in Jamestown area.

what side of the plug was covered in oil piston side or boot side? casue if its boot side its probably ur valve cover leaking i just had to fix mine when i put the turbo on there was a puddle of oil in #4.

but yea i just got my SOHC tranny from 2060 today they have a lot of saturn parts ready to go

are the sohc and dohc blocks interchangeable ?

piston side, its also blowing quite the cloud of smoke out the exhaust

the only thing that is diferent between the SOHC and the DOHC is the head and pistons have lower compression. all blocks from all years are interchangable so if u wanted to change a SOHC to a DOHC i beleive u would have to just swap the head and pistons. that definately sounds like something wrong with the rings though.

i have an extra set of DOHC pistons in the basement if u would like them

i may do the M&M thing. how hard are they to swap? and tunerfreak it sounds like you have some expierence with them how hard is a MTX swap? is it a weekend job?

you said the DOHC engines have shorter gearing i would definately prefer that.

i apreciate the offer but the DOHC is slow enough withough loosing 20hp.

i have never swapped a transmission so i dont know how hard it is but people i know have done it in a few hours (done it multiple times) so it might take a day for the normal person.

my friend is goin to help me swap my DOHC manual to a SOHC manual in a few days probably so hopefully i will learn how to do it then

when we do this engine swap i would LOVE to have a saturn guy or two around … things always go faster that way …

Redconquesttsi

Pm him, has a built saturn sc2

he knows these cars VERY WELL

its kinda hard for me to find some free time but here are good articles to go by when doing it

motor swap article: Note some parts may be a little different since ur swapping a DOHC for a DOHC
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/dohc_swap.html

Transmission swap: Note parts may be different since ur not doin an auto to manual
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/tranny_swap.html

If your pulling the engine, it is MUCH easier to pull it with the transmission still hooked up to the engine; pull it as 1 peice. It’s simple to remove a Saturn engine.

Start with wiring harness on back of block, and then unplug whats in front, and pull harness out of the way,

Then Seperate Balljoints and remove the 1/2 Shafts from the transaxle (Dont forget to drain the ATF first!)

Then Remove engine mounts
Driver Side Upper Dogbone (below battery tray)
Driver Side Lower (transaxle mount, remove inner wheel plastic, its right there)
Passenger Side Lower Dogbone (remove inner wheel plastic, its right there)
Remove upper axis mount (have engine hoist hooked up and ready to go…)

Remove Radiator+fan as well, its safer then putting ur engine block thru the radiator, followed by a few choice of words

The engine will pull out with ease, if you have the load leveler set up correctly. You can have it out in a couple hours, if everything goes well. I MIGHT consider helping out, but if its going to be hot as hell like it has been, ill opt to sitting in my AC computer room. PM me or something, and we can discuss details.

OR

Interested in just buying my Saturn, and not have to worry about doing this engine swap?

Justin

:word: