If it ain't broke don't fix it...most of the time.

Being an aircraft mechanic/electrician/inspector, I’m quite used to inspecting/fixing stuff that isn’t necessarily broken (causing the aircraft to be inoperable), but in need of repair. I’ve always been the same way with my cars, however I do somewhat believe in ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ on certain automotive mechanical aspects.

With that said, I’ve been thru most of the Evo since I got it, but it popped into my head this week at work that I haven’t checked the screws that hold the throttle plate to the shaft. Low and behold, I checked them today and one was literally finger tight…do I need to explain how many thousands of dollars of damage this would have caused if it had came out?

Cool story bro, I know, but a great example how a 5 cent part could have caused lots and lots of damage.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/095/267/Steve-Irwin.jpg?1296030206

Srsly tho, good thing you found that, would’ve suckeddd if something happened. Maybe I’ll go inspect my own car now…

LOLJK

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q269/tonyc518/7457_brool_story_co_.jpg

^ Those guys :rofl

Glad the EvO didnt Toyota floor mat on you.

lol yeah, I posted this knowing I’d get shit, but it might help someone save from having to do a major/minor repair. Not just finding loose TB screws, just finding shit in general

All ball-busting aside you’re right. I remember after I got my Evo I had a laundry list of things to check from the vac tube having to be zip tied & staples in the recaro’s popping out to needing an alignment because it was screwed up from the factory. So no matter the car and no matter the age there is always something to be checked especially in a performance car.

Nice dude I don’t think I ever would have thought to check that. Alot of times (me especially) we assume since that we do things correctly that everyone else does as well… usually not the case.

I just did a clutch in a CRV for a guy, he just had one put in 10k ago and it was slipping so bad the truck would barely move. Take it apart and the throwout bearing was on the fork wrong. I don’t even know how you can do that. From being installed wrong it snapped one of the guides off the bearing and bounced around inside there awhile. Looks like the bellhousing area got shot with 10 boxes of the smallest bird shot ever. Luckily the smooth surface the bearing rides on was unaffected. UNREAL.