If you had to buy a used diesel truck today..

I almost got an 04 powerstroke for 3500 with 175k on it, but like dukka said, head studs, egr cooler, and head studs and they are good to go…

Personally I’d get and 06-07 classic, they get the best milage and are super reliable

Stay the hell away from a Ford 6.0. Biggest piece of shit diesel there is in newer trucks.

Fords have a better suspension but the GM’s have a better engine and transmission.

Dodge trucks are garbage but the Cummins is awesome. My brother has an '05 and its rusting, the tranny went at 96k and the front end parts have been replaced a few times already. No issues at all with the motor though.

That American Muscle dealership is always high as hell from what Ive seen in their Craigslist ads. They want low mileage money for a truck with 200k all the time.

If ya get a fire get a pre 03 with the 7.3 in it . Other than that go with the gm

Who ever says a 6.0 is great is smoking crack. I work on cummins,powerstroke, and duramax everyday at work and I’d say by far get a duramax. Plus a own an 05 3500 duramax. Have no issues with it and tow with it once a week. I would say a cummins with a stick or duramax. No other choices.

I agree.

Chevy/GMC has been a good truck the last 10 years, various electrical issues from time to time but the drivetrain and chassis hold up very well.

What have you heard about the new chevy 2500s? I recently read that they got a poor rating with regard to maintenance.

ureia(sp?) problems. Everyone is having them. If you’re gonna buy a truck purchase an early 07 or older. No DPF or onther emissions bs in there besides egr.

Good to know… thanks man.

Im sure theres some kind of tuner to delete all that shit just like the egr deletes

yeah, there are a few, but good luck with inspections and d.o.t

You can delete their function without totally removing them.

DOT shouldnt bother with pickup trucks and inspections are fine as long as you know somebody.

My brother didnt have a cat on his diesel truck for a while and it got inspected.

I’m sure you’re talking about egr but good luck removing regen functions without removing the dpf. They clog fast if you are dumping fuel.

And why shouldn’t dot bother with pick up’s? There’s pick up’s pulling over 20,000lbs every day.

the new gm’s are rated for over that no problem…

but OT, GM!!! with the duramax/ally all the way i love mine! 117k and no issues so far!i tow stuff often and not one problem also ive put down over 450whp and 800ft-lbs on the stock trans with no issues!!!

Looks like it’ll be a gm then. Any real major differences between the early 2000s and the later ones? Drivetrain looks identical to me… Anything to look out for?

Is get an 03 or newer. The first 2 years the fuel injectors were under the valve covers. Some had injector issues. Then they put the injectors outside the covers and all that was solved.

'01-'05 have a 5spd trans 06+ have 6spd. the 6spd can handle a little more power than the 5spd. the trucks also make progressively more power with each motor. (LB7- 300/520, LLY- 310/605, LBZ- 360/650, LMM- 365/660, LML- 397/765) just make sure all reg maintenance is done.if its an LB7 check to make sure the injectors were replaced. dealer put a 10yr/200k warranty on them i think. if the truck has oversized tires check the front end. parts wear out alot faster due to the added stress. if there is/was a tuner on the truck check to see what codes/if any were thrown mainly to see if the trans has been limped.

because theyre mostly personal vehicles.

Go after the rigs that are blowing recaps all over the highway instead.

Best post ITT. Repped and thanks.