If you haven't done your taxes, bought a car, and are a tax n00b

On your federal return, if you itemize deductions, you can take your state tax and ADD the sales tax from a car or boat as a deduction. For me it worked out to be a 900 dollar difference in return over claiming the standard deduction. without any of the hassle of doing any BS…

But i also paid sales tax on two 30K plus vehicles this year.

Ah yeah, that would be nice for people that drop alot on taxes on a car. Me however that would help none as I paid like 90 bucks tax on my Suby lol.

fuck how did i not remember that.

edit: fuck,

Is it on used or new or any? I paid a lot in taxes on the S4.

I assume any used or new, you had to pay taxes to NYS either way. Did you buy the S4 in 06?

as long as you paid sales tax, you can claim it. however, if you don’t have all your receipts to add up for everything you’ve ever purchased, then what they do is add the sales tax you already paid to what your NYS income tax payment is for the year. Since I paid almost 4000 to the state in taxes, the sales tax gets added on top of that. Remember, if you’re single, the number you need to beat is like 5800 or something.

So if I have receipts for paying over $5800 in state sales tax on purchases and in taxes taken out of paychecks over 2006 I am better off itemizing? Or only purchases?

either:

income tax + sales tax on only cars and boats.
or
all sales tax receipts including tax on cars.

yea… should certainly file an amended return then, my car + taxes taken out of checks is over $5800 and I have more receipts for furniture and electronics and shit to add :tup:

edit: that is depressing btw :frowning:

how much did you pay in STATE income tax and how much did you buy your car for?

i think you’re missing the point, though.

you can’t count money taken out if you count sales tax on anything other than cars. and it’s only STATE income tax, not federal.

Yea I am talking about state tax only - so this is strictly on what my total state tax taken out is + state tax paid on the car, and I am guessing that doesn’t include county tax. Would be close then, and probably not worth the effort