Ignited push button start

I just finished wiring up my button, and it doesn’t work. It will crank the engine over and when it seems like it’s started and i let go of the button it’s seems to stall or something. When I use the key it starts normally, anyone have any ideas?

Mine is set up kind of like this:
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/evilpat_album08/Starter_Button_002.jpg
The only difference is that have the 12v power at both sides of the ignited switch coming from pin 30 on the relay.

is the key in the ‘on’ position when you press the button?

yea the key is on, the light on the button only comes on when the car is on and the actual button switch is the same.

sounds like you have the fuel pump wired up wrong. It seems its now only on when the button is pressed, and when you release it the pump stops. Recheck the wiring to the fuel pump.

The only wires i used are off of the ignition switch they are: Black w/White stripe which goes straight to the starter, and Black w/Yellow stripe which is power only when the the key is on.

What gauge wire did you use? Did you wire it in with a relay?

If you didn’t do it with a relay, first, undo the install to make sure your car starts with just the key… If so, do the install again, but use a relay. The button itself can’t handle the load to give adequate voltage to your starter.

I used a 30 amp relay and 12 guage wire and my car still starts with the key.

Take it to a shop before you burn the car down.

Update: I think it may be because I have both the relay and the ignited switch on the same power source the button will start the car after three tries every time, so it seems like the starter isn’t getting to it’s full power. On the third push of the button when the car starts it barely starts. Is a 30 amp relay enough for the setup, because that is what ignited suggested.

Well there is two ignition wires :wink:

^^^^^ What benson said…i belive one of the ignition wires needs constant power to keep the car running.

yeah i couldnt figure mine out either. .

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98082

Gotta register to view but theres a diagram there and detailed pictures of a push button start in an s13. Looks simple enough, that should help.

a starter button doesn’t need huge amp relay, 15A should work, that’s because starters use solenoids and in nissan’s case their cars use a direct hotwire from the battery to the starter for the actual cranking power

so the only “load” on the ignition switch is the various relays and solenoid, if you want proof look at the fuses

your ignition is just a 2-way switch with a momentary (third position) switch in parallel, you could replace it all with a rocker and a button

i just dont see why ur putting in a switch… my friend put one in his cavy only beacuse he had to but if ur looking for that sleek look u still need the key in the on position… so it takes away from everything… unless u wire up a switch(on/off) to the key on position in the ignition.

but back to the issue… just double check the wiring and make sure its grounded properly. also check that the button isnt faulty. (sometimes if its not working… its not you;) )

enzos is right in the fact that you have to have both ignitions energized.